AFN in a golf mk3

Discussion in 'VW Mk3 Jetta, Passat TDI and other/older diesels' started by Electrolytic, Mar 1, 2012.

1. Electrolytic

Electrolytic New Member

Car:
    looking for pre PD tdi
    I'm looking to get a golf tdi with a pre PD engine, the highest power is 110. I know they are relatively easy to find in early mk4 GT tdi's, however I would prefer a later mk3.

According to http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Volkswagen_Group_diesel_engines

sub heading: 1.9 R4 TDI 29-81kW

the later mk3 had either a AHU 90 or AFN 110. Ideally I would like a 110 as I'm coming down from 170 however I haven't found a single one with an AFN.

How "rare" are mk3 golf's with an AFN, are they only in the GL models not the CL?

I'm in the UK, are mk3 110's in north america?
    login to remove this ad
  2. Seatman

Seatman Active Member

Car:
    2000 Mk4 Golf Estate 1.9tdi 174 bhp
    Mods:
    PP764's, turbo and mapping
    I've never seen or heard of one myself but you could just use the AHU and stick in some bigger nozzles or get a straight forward remap and you'll have the 110 easy anyway.

welcometomyturbodies
  3. Electrolytic

Electrolytic New Member

Car:
    looking for pre PD tdi
    I never thought about the injectors good idea. I thought remaps on these weren't straight forward though like a PD tdi, I thought you had to get a new chip not just flash it?
  4. Seatman

Seatman Active Member

Car:
    Mods:
    Yeh but I'm fairly sure the chips just plug in on the older ecu unlike some of the newer ones that need soldered. Some don't need the chip at all, I think my 2000 one just takes a straight map where as my previous 2000 one needed chipped.
  5. Electrolytic

Electrolytic New Member

Car:
    looking for pre PD tdi
    Turns out a tdi Golf mk3 with AFN was LHD euro land market only
  6. Seatman

Seatman Active Member

Car:
    Mods:
    So you would need to get one and convert it or drive it as is which could be a bit freaky over here lol.