Advanced GPS (Engine Monitoring)

Discussion in 'VW Mk6 Golf, Jetta, Beetle, Sportwagen TDI forum' started by TDILow3, May 19, 2011.

1. TDILow3

TDILow3 New Member

Car:
    2011 Jetta Sportwagen TDI
    Mods:
    Window Tint, Underseat Storage Bins, Comfort Windo
    Garmin now offers a bluetooth dongle to connect their GPS head unit to the OBDII data of your car. The Ecoroute HD will display up to (11) user selected virtual gauges on the GPS head unit, will put a dollar value to the your last trip,...and provide a green score based on your driving habits.

Has anybody hooked up an Ecoroute HD to their TDI? If so, what data is available on the GPS head unit? Can you view turbo boost, exhaust gas temperature...?

Below are some links to the Ecoroute system:
    http://www.garmin.com/garmin/cms/us/services/ecoRoute
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qDthYihY_ro&feature=related
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6ax2sA9dO2E
    Last edited by a moderator: May 19, 2011
    login to remove this ad
  2. Eagle_Driver

Eagle_Driver New Member

Car:
    2011 Jetta TDI
    I have the Nuvi with ecoroute. I don't have the blue tooth, but I can set the MPG and the fuel cost into my GPS and it will estimate, based on my driving habits, my mpg and my total cost of fuel.

I also know that android phones (and I imagine the iphone) have an app for about $5.00, that will run OBDII with bluetooth via a $20 transmitter you can get on e-bay.
  3. TDILow3

TDILow3 New Member

Car:
    Mods:
    Is the Ecoroute functionality more clever than practical?

Do you think the Ecoroute Bluetooth connection to the OBII data stream would be worth the expense?
  4. Eagle_Driver

Eagle_Driver New Member

Car:
    2011 Jetta TDI
    i think the standard ecoroute is kinda a gimmic. it can be used to keep you from getting on the gas, just because it monitors acceleration and braking and speed to try and determine where you will get the best mileage.

i think the HD with blue tooth would be pretty cool to have, to monitor the engine. my 2011 TDI doesn't even have a temperature guage.
  5. TDILow3

TDILow3 New Member

Car:
    Mods:
    Roger on the 'gimmicky' nature of the basic Ecoroute functionality.

My concern with the Ecoroute Bluetooth connection is that it will just 'echo' the same gages/data as I already have on my dash cluster: MPG, RPM,... What I really want is hard core data like turbo boost, EGT...

I asked Garmin directly and I was provided a specifically-vague answer that inferred the data displayed on the Garmin GPS head unit was only data visible to an OBII scanner. That leads me to believe that the high end gages/data I am looking for won't be available.
  6. t923347

t923347 New Member

Car:
    2010 Golf TDI Wagon
    I have just installed the Garmin ecoRoute HD unit to the OBDII socket on my 2010 Golf/Jetta Sportwagon TDI. The major reason I purchased the unit was to obtain the instant MPG readout on the map screen of my 2 Nuvi GPS units that support the device.

I now find that I can not get this readout on either of my Nuvi's. I've tried resetting the HD and repairing the bluetooth connection between the GPS and the device and this made no difference.

I'm now wondering if my problem could be that the VW doesn't output the required information through the OBDII connection. Since I'm a complete noob at this I'm wondering if any of you VW experts could offer any suggestions.

Thanks
  7. Keithuk

Keithuk Super Moderator

Car:
    2010 Golf GTD (170) CBBB
    The OBDII connection does output all kinds of data how do you think VAG-COM\VCDS shows dynamic readings?

Doesn't yours show anything?
  8. t923347

t923347 New Member

Car:
    2010 Golf TDI Wagon
    Yes, it's shows everything that it should for the available gauges and creates all the various reports. Basically it's working exactly as advertised EXCEPT I can not get it to show 'instant MPG" readout. I've read on GPS forums that other people can get this information using the same GPS models I'm using but none have a VW TDI vehicle. So I'm now attempting to find out if the problem is on the VW side and not the ecoRoute HD device or my Nuvi's.
  9. TDILow3

TDILow3 New Member

Car:
    Mods:
    Gauge/Meter List

Can you provide a 'detailed' list of the gauges and meters that you can get to display on the Nuvi with the Garmin EcoRoute HD? For example, the following gauges and meters will display:
    1) Exhaust gas temperature
    2) Engine oil temperature
    3) Battery voltage
    4) Turbo boost pressure
    5) ...

Despite the instantaneous MPG problem, does the EcoRoute HD do the 'fuel cost' report properly?

If there are enough gauges and meters that I can display...I am likely going to make the jump to the EcoRoute.
  10. t923347

t923347 New Member

Car:
    2010 Golf TDI Wagon
    The gauges that can be displayed are any 5 of:

Engine Load
    Coolant Temperature
    Mass Air Flow
    Battery Voltage
    Speed
    RPM

Depending on the vehicle, you may see more than the 6 items I get.

The mileage reporting and fuel cost reports look to be fine. I've only had a short experience with this but others report that since the latest software update the reporting is much more accurate than it was initially.
  11. TDILow3

TDILow3 New Member

Car:
    Mods:
    Thanks for the details on the parameters that are viewable on the EcoRoute. (2) of the (6) are repeats of the MFID, and arguably the coolant temperature is another repeat, just digital instead of analog. I was hoping for some additional values.

However, in the high MPG game, the engine load details may help to identify that sweet spot to drive up the MPG.

***MINOR TOPIC SHIFT
    Has anyone tried any of the diesel monitor gauges (Edge CTS, Banks IQ...) and were able to access to the advanced data streams: EGT, DPF, boost pressure...?

I fear that the OBDII data stream protocols that the diesel monitor gauges operate with are going to deliver the same results of limited view of the SAE J1979 data streams and not provide EGT, DPF, boost pressure...
  12. Keithuk

Keithuk Super Moderator

Car:
    2010 Golf GTD (170) CBBB
  13. TDILow3

TDILow3 New Member

Car:
    Mods:
    Is the Eco Route Bluetooth Dongle Worth It?

t923347,
    So after a few months with the Eco Route bluetooth dongle, is it worth the cost?

TDILow3