Adblue problems - 2010 Touareg TDI

Discussion in 'Audi Q5, Q7, Touareg TDI, Porsche Cayenne forum' started by VWs_BC, Feb 19, 2016.

1. VWs_BC

VWs_BC New Member

Car:
    2010 VW Touareg 3.0 TDI
    Hi all, we recently purchased a used 2010 VW Touareg 3.0 TDI from a Landrover/Jag dealer in British Columbia, Canada. We have been happy with other VW diesels we own/owned - eg. 2003 Jetta TDIs, 1989 Syncro DOKA from Germany, so didn't expect a lot of problems right away. The vehicle has 103,000 km on it and 6 years old, so no warranty.

The day after purchase in January 2016, the Adblue light and engine light came on, with message vehicle will not start in 700 km. Took it back to place of purchase who plead ignorance, offered to pay for VW dealer next door to look at it. The VW techs initially reported problems using 3 scan tools on the Touareg and noted a 'data bus issue'. From the short comments on the work order, it looks the initial errors were p203a, p208c, p20a2. They replaced the Adblue pump and line. They spent a lot of hours of labour. Total was over $3000 CDN for that work. VW techs drove it over 100 km and said it was all good. Place of purchase helped with that invoice and said we were on own after that.

Next day, Adblue light and engine light came on again. Back to VW, techs got 2 new faults p207f and p20ee.. They tested the NOX injector and said it's plugged, so ordered the part and will replace that (quote of $580). They said the front and rear NOX sensors may also need replacing (over $1000 each). We are frustrated with their service - seems like they are spending a lot of time diagnosing the problem that scan tools should help with.

I've seen older threads on the Adblue problem and replacement of parts. Does the above sound realistic for a vehicle of this age?

Any thoughts on why the VW scan tools are working for VW technicians? They probably don't have the VCDS scan tool.

Extended Warranties - we could purchase the VW Canada extended warranty, but it doesn't appear to cover emissions system. Anyone else have experience with extended warranties? It sounds like Touaregs are very expensive to repair, so it may be a good idea. We normally deal with a small shop that repairs only VWs and has repaired all of our older VWs (going back to 53 Beetle and 63 Microbus). So not used to high priced dealership repairs.

S&K in Victoria, BC

login to remove this ad
  2. chittychittybangbang

chittychittybangbang Administrator

Car:
    2006 Jetta TDI
    I don't know Canadian law but is there some kind implied warranty the day after purchase? In some US states, even if a car is sold "as is", if it's bought from a dealer vs. private party, it still has a LIMITED implied warranty for a short period of time.

They're throwing parts at it on your dime. Find another place, but your small shop may not have experience with the Adblue system.

3. VWs_BC

VWs_BC New Member

Car:
    2010 VW Touareg 3.0 TDI
    In Canada the used car dealer implied warranty is in provincial law, so I'm trying to find out what implied warranty there is in British Columbia, where we live. We got the dealer that sold us the vehicle to cover $3500 CDN from the first 2 visits to the VW dealer. So far we've paid $340 and we'll be on the hook for the NOX injector replacement and possible NOX sensors, if needed.

It's frustrating that the certified VW dealer mechanics are diagnosing the problem by replacing parts. It seems like training and diagnostics are limiting factors. We will look for other mechanics in our area that are familiar with his type of vehicle and the Adblue system.

4. Brian Dunlop

Brian Dunlop New Member

Car:
    2010 VW Touareg TDI
    Mods:
    Engine water heater
    Like you I have had several diesel and gas powered VW Golfs, Jettas and a Passat and have been more than pleased with them. I now have a 2010 Touareg TDI, with 80,000mls, and find that it is too complex for its own good. We love the car for its ride and comfort etc, but it is rapidly becoming too expensive to own.
    I too have also just got the "No Start After 450mls" warning that then dropped to 350mls, and although the tank had quite enough AD fluid (150mls since 80,000ml inspection) it would not reset even after I filled it completely. There is nothing in the book regarding the capacity of the tank, but I added about a gallon, so it still had some. The only reference in the manual says to add 4 jugs of the stuff on a service so that tells me that it holds over two gallons given that the jugs are 1/2gal each, approx.
    Anyway took it to a newer VW dealer here in Montana and their diagnosis was that the AD Blue tank heater had failed, and that in turn made the pump fail etc!!! The end result will be about $1300!!!
    Not impressed with a car that will not start again after false warnings nor can it be reset, and no way to bypass the system.
    The lack of any available maintenance manuals does not help the situation as you are at the mercy of VW for almost anything.

5. VWs_BC

VWs_BC New Member

Car:
    2010 VW Touareg 3.0 TDI
    Hi Brian, Yes, it's frustrating to have the vehicle tell you that it won't start in ### miles/km because of the Adblue system - like being held hostage by Volkswagen. We don't normally deal with the VW dealer because they can be so expensive for repairs. Our Touareg ended up with a new Adblue pump, tank, hose and injectors. Our Touareg is running great now and we are also happy with the ride, comfort and everything else. We purchased the Ross-Tech software and cable so that we can scan for problems when the engine light comes on, etc. I'm sure it will save on future diagnosis issues. My impression is that the Adblue system is the Achilles heel of the TDI Touareg. Our 2003 Jetta TDI and other family members TDIs have been awesome vehicles with regular maintenance but no big issues.

6. Brian Dunlop

Brian Dunlop New Member

Car:
    2010 VW Touareg TDI
    Mods:
    Engine water heater
    As a follow up to my previous I have just got the 2010 Touareg TDI back after 6days in the shop including a weekend. The problem was that I was getting false readings showing "No Start in 450 or 350 miles" and initially I got an engine warning that was the NOX sensor. That was reset and has not come back.
    It appears that the AD Blue system has its own system check that does not show on the main warning panel until it has all quit?? In my case the "Reductive Agent Heating Element" went out and that in turn made the "Additive Pump" go bad so the whole system had to come out and be repaired and put back. Total $1338!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Labor rate $115 per hour.
    The Ad Blue tank on the 2010 is 4 1/2gal I have found out but nothing in the manual. the 2011 has a bigger tank.
    As this is my 9th VW and so far has been the most expensive by far. A beautiful car, BUT!!!

7. VWs_BC

VWs_BC New Member

Car:
    2010 VW Touareg 3.0 TDI
    Our Touareg had 3 trips to the VW dealership before the problem was resolved - over $3000 CDN! Fortunately the dealer we purchased the Touareg from paid for most of that. We've owned several VWs over 40 years and this one has been the most expensive too. We had the engine light come on from one NOX sensor reading after a couple of weeks, but could turn it off with the Ross-Tech software/cable and it has been fine since.

8. Brian Dunlop

Brian Dunlop New Member

Car:
    2010 VW Touareg TDI
    Mods:
    Engine water heater
    Yes, you are correct with the reset process, provided that the system is working correctly. Mine was giving a false reading. That was caused by the heater failing, and then the fluid bunged up the quantity sensor which showed 450 miles to NO START even with a full tank.
    But, on the positive side I pursued the matter with VW Customer Support and although the first person I spoke with was unhelpful I insisted on speaking to her supervisor/manager. He in turn did call me back, and was most polite and considerate, and promised to look into the issue and call me back in two days. This he did, and told me that VW would cover 100% of the repairs and that the check was on its way. I cannot ask for better than that so my 10th VW will be staying for a while, OR, until the next disaster!!!