AC not working-- in fla!

Discussion in 'Mk5 VW Jetta, Sportwagen, and Audi A3 TDI forum' started by madducrich, Mar 4, 2012.

1. madducrich

madducrich New Member

Car:
    2010 jetta tdi
    So I took my 2010 jetta tdi into the stealership for the 100k timing belt replacement (working too much now so I had no time to DIY). LOKEY VW in Clearwater fl. I picked up the car friday night, everything seemed ok, so I drove my jetta to work on saturday. On the way home from work, I turned on the a/c and the compressor would not engage. I drove back to the dealer and they brought it in to check the problem... they said the internal valve inside the compressor is stuck open. Long story short, they want $1700+ to replace the compressor, dryer, and system flush. Just odd that the a/c was working fine when I brought the car in for service... now no a/c!!! Any ideas?
    login to remove this ad
  2. madducrich

madducrich New Member

Car:
    2010 jetta tdi
    I read on vw vortex something about a replacement valve ... cost about $60-!!! Anyone else heard of that?
  3. chittychittybangbang

chittychittybangbang Administrator

Car:
    2006 Jetta TDI
    I haven't heard of this but I'm not an AC guy. FYI, the most common failure is the valve inside compressor, it replaces the AC clutch function. Any place that does AC can do this service. Don't try to DIY since you have to pull a vac to refill.

And yes it's very suspicious that the AC was working when you brought it in. Tell the dealer to pull the codes as a courtesy seeing how you just spent $$$ and see what the codes are.
  4. gt4494

gt4494 Member

Car:
    2005 NB
    Southeast Coast on I-95. Radar detector on and yes Herbie still gets 40mpg at 80 mph
    Try. The easy stuff first. Find the AC clutch connector and hot wire it. If the clutch engages and the system cools the knocked a wire loose while working on the car.
  5. chittychittybangbang

Car:
    2006 Jetta TDI
    There is no AC clutch on the mk5 and newer, it uses a valve inside the compressor. Same function though and a wire could have been knocked loose. It varies output from 2 to 100% according to the tech documents.

I searched the vortex and the only reference to a replacement valve is this: http://www.aliexpress.com/snapshot/101472791.html for a sanden pxe16 compressor. You could also try these guys http://www.sunairusa.com/news/SandenBulletin.pdf from a quick google search. Maddurich, if you want to try this and buy it, please take some pictures and do a DIY. There's lots of people who could benefit from this. VW doesn't sell this separately but you could also try sanden.
  6. gt4494

gt4494 Member

Car:
    2005 NB
    Southeast Coast on I-95. Radar detector on and yes Herbie still gets 40mpg at 80 mph
    Good info. Never knew this. Is there a low pressure switch on the mk5 systems? That is another connection that will stop the older systems from working properly.
  7. chittychittybangbang

Car:
    2006 Jetta TDI
    not sure but I know there's a high pressure switch.
  8. madducrich

madducrich New Member

Car:
    2010 jetta tdi
    Ok, I found a place that has the control valve!!! My compressor is a sanden 1601... but it uses the same control valve as the pxe 16. Anyway, the valve cost me $63.00-- I did not take any pics during the replacement, but it is SO EASY! First, evacuate the system. Next, unplug the harness that connects to the compressor. There is a circlip where the harness plugs into the compressor. Remove the circlip, and gently pull out the control valve. Be careful to catch any compressor oil that may leak out. Install new control valve in reverse order! Go to "polarbearinc.com" to purchase the control valve! http://www.polarbearinc.com/PBPC/Homepage/products_Comp_Valves.html#SD6V12
  9. chittychittybangbang

Car:
    2006 Jetta TDI
  10. gt4494

gt4494 Member

Car:
    2005 NB
    I can't stand the suspense.....:panic:
  11. cnieto2

cnieto2 Member

Car:
    2003 Jetta TDI ALH 5 Speed, 2006 Jetta TDI BRM DSG, 2001 New Beetle 1.8 T Auto
    It does work!!

Hi, it did work in my case.

The car is a 2006 Jetta with 200,000 miles. The air was not really cold, about 70 degrees at the vent. But most of the time was not working at all, just hot air.

Thanks to this thread I was able to learn about the COMPRESSOR CONTROL VALVE; so I did order it at a place on-line for $75.00 dollars. I just had to make sure my valve was the correct one, there being two different valves available: the older one held by a bolt, and the more recent replacement held by a semi circle clip. Mine was the older one held by a bolt.

My brother is an AC technician and took care of emptying the system as well as the re-charge.

The bolt is a simple Allen wrench bolt that is easily accessible from under the car. Remove it, and pull the valve straight out by hand or with the help of a flat screwdriver.

We lubricated the new valve's three o-rings with the compressor's oil and pushed it in by hand into place. That simple.

Rotated the valve a little bit by hand to align the valve's ear-hole with the hole on the compressor, installed the bolt and re-installed the electrical connector.

So it was done. My brother then just re-charged the system using not the pressure gauges as the guide, but the refrigerant's exact amount BY WEIGHT specified on the car's sticker there on top of the radiators. Of course after a good evacuation of the system. He has all the tools and all, but prefers this method and IT WORKS!!!

Immediately, COLD AIR!!!, 40 degrees at the vent on a hot Texas afternoon. Working properly after that for many days.

Best regards to all the TDI fans.

[​IMG]
    Last edited: Aug 30, 2014
  12. jrm1316

jrm1316 New Member

Car:
    2005.5 Jetta TDI PKG 1
    There appear to be two styles to this control valve (snap ring and bolt-on). I believe mine has also failed. I plan to change my oil and see which valve I need in the upcoming week, and I will replace mine and take pics for a DIY article hopefully. It's a hot summer in Texas!
  13. chittychittybangbang

Car:
    2006 Jetta TDI
    Please do take some pics and post anything you learn as this sounds like a much needed DIY! More pics is always better than too few, here's some guidelines and tips: http://www.myturbodiesel.com/forum/f9/writeup-award-gift-certificate-through-sponsor-kermatdi-2295/
  14. cnieto2

cnieto2 Member

Car:
    Air Conditioning Inoperative. Air Conditioning does not cool

They have this issue very well defined. Please look at the attachment. It explains the problems and solutions, which for them the solutions are same. Good for whoever wants to go this route.

The problem is that they want to flush the system and replace compressor, new expansion valve and new condenser. My little brother (the AC tech) also wanted to do that. It is a bunch of work and money!!.

No needed. They themselves say that the Compressor Control Valve is simply blocked by metal particles.
    Now, if it was catastrophic failure like a broken/exploded compressor; then it would be strictly necessary to do all that.

I am glad many of us have been able to save time and money. Thanks to all experts on this forum!!

Attached Files:

15. cnieto2

cnieto2 Member

Car:
    AC not working

Lazcano; this are the ELECTRONIC COMPRESSOR CONTROL VALVES found on this cars. Look at post #8 of this tread for the link to Polar Bear and the instructions to replace the one held by a semi circle clip. Post # 11 above explains how to replace the one held by a Hex bolt. Find the one that is right for your car first by looking at the compressor either from the top of the engine, which is more difficult, or by removing the cover under the engine. The compressor is very close to the bottom.
    You don't need more pictures or instructions to get you confused. Once you see the valve it will be easy.

[​IMG] [​IMG]

You are looking for the ELECTRONIC COMPRESSOR CONTROL VALVE for compressor SANDEN PXE13/ SANDEN PXE16. Some have a short harness connector o just the connector like in the pictures. You can order also at AUTO ZONE but their delivery system is very slow if they have to first buy it from their supplier.
    Once you change this, and if all other things are fine, you will see little penguins coming out walking out of the air vents :D . Not true :eek: , but expect 40 degrees at the vent.:thumbsup

The FAN CONTROL RELAY and fuses are explained in this tread:

http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=249313&page=7

Look at posts # 96 and 97. There is nothing better than directly connecting the fans to the battery via two cables with alligator clips at the ends. Because sometimes they seem to work, but have serious issues that are not evident, like bad bearings, burned out varnish coil insulation that leaks electric current (thus lower performance but exessive current comsumption that burns cables, relays and fuses), or false contact at the carbon brushes. This article deals with the brushes and will give you a better idea of how to work on the fans:

http://www.myturbodiesel.com/1000q/a5/radiator-fan-repair-jetta.htm

If you connect them directly, you are looking for fans that spin fast. No metallic noises, grinding, fumes or burning smell. Just the sound of blades beating the air vigorously.
    They are easy to replace if found defective. I just bought the larger one at Autoplicity for about a hundred dollars.

Ever since that trip to El Paso, I have installed and aftermarket pusher fan on my cars that works automatically with the AC because very often I have to sleep on rest areas and truck stops with the engine running during my work travels in Texas.

This PRESSURE SWITCH (1K0959126D) I don't think is your problem but on my brother's 2006 BRM was preventing the AC system from working.

[​IMG]

Hope this helps.
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 17, 2012
  16. Weggman

Weggman New Member

Car:
    Four 99-2006 F-250's, 22 vw aircooled(growing up), 25 TDI's from 97 to 2012. Currently 2006 (Custom painted shebly blue)TDI jetta, 2010 jetta GLI/TDI treatment, 2003 Excursion 7.3(of course) and 6 mach1 mustangs
    Formally Moore OK, stationed at Tinker AFB, born CA, Now in Amarillo.
    Mods:
    Muffectomy, rocket chip, Koni Street, panzer plate, ultra light alloy wheels 16", gutted cat, Franks chrome cam and that's all I need. Too fast and gets 50mpg.
    A/c fix

Hey chitty,
    I have done this several times. It works. What I didn't know is that Now you can by the switch. VW want to sell you a compressor. Since my cars are usually hit in front and this is a very susceptible/ easy to break connector I just find a used 2.5 gasser compesser and rob it from that. I have bought some for 50 bucks or 25 with damaged clutches. BIG thing to all of your readers " Do not try and remove this part without evacuating the system. It will shoot out like a rocket and damage the rad if it's in the way. Already paid for that once. That solenoid is under pressure. Glad to see someone found a way to get a switch great website. Thanks for all you do.
    Dan Restoration
    Now in Amarillo TX
  17. chittychittybangbang

Car:
    2006 Jetta TDI
    :thumbsup Not sure if you mean replace compressor or replaced the switch several times?
  18. capecodguy

capecodguy New Member

Car:
    2010 Jetta TDI
    A/C Not working - same problem - fixed !

Thanks to madducrich for the information.

Moved to Florida and suffered through 6 months of marginal AC and 3 estimates of " time to replace the compressor and other various parts " for about $1,000.

Purchased the part from Polarbear inc for $75 with shipping and had my mechanic evac the system and replace the piece and recharge and I have ICE COLD AIR !
  19. mark6556

mark6556 Member

Car:
    Jetta TDI/2006
    I'm assuming the design is similar to the 2006 TDI... If so, check the electrical wire that goes to the AC Compressor and make sure its not broken. My 2006 had a broken wire inside the insulation and a problem with the connector on the harness that goes to the compressor and it caused an intermittent problem with the AC which eventually failed completely. I thought my compressor had failed but it had turned out it was just the wire.
  20. tdi_dad

tdi_dad New Member

Car:
    2010 Jetta Tdi
    A/C started acting up; delayed start, coolness varying, etc. Read the multitude of threads on various sites about these A/C issues. Decided to changed the RCV. My only issue was finding a mechanic to do the job. I know I could do it myself, but have never done A/C work and did not want to buy the tools needed. Went to serval local shops asking for a price to replace the valve. Non would do it. All wanted to replace the compressor. ($900-$1100) The only local shop who would do it was a VW specialty shop, who I know are pricey to begin with. They did the job. Charged me $169 for the vac and fill, and $220 labor for the part replacement. I know if I had looked around more I would have found someone cheaper, but for less than $500 I have ice cold air again and I did not have to get my hands dirty.

BTW - I live in the Ft. Lauderdale area. I went to Polar bear inc. and met the owner. I discussed my issue and asked if he was selling many of these valves. He nearly guaranteed the valve world fix the issue and said he could not keep these valves on the shelf.