AC Blowing Hot

Discussion in 'VW Mk4 Jetta, Golf, New Beetle, Passat TDI forum' started by eddi887, Jul 16, 2017.

1. eddi887

eddi887 Member

Car:
    2003 Jetta TDI
    Mods:
    Air intake
    I've had this car for about a month, and AC has been working great. I know the previous owner had it charged as he said it wasn't working since the car had been sitting for a while.

Anyway, I just made a trip to the Gulf coast, it worked great all the way down, then started blowing hot air. I bought one of those recharge cans with the gauge, figuring it was low, and when I hooked up the gauge, it was in the red.

Is there any specific thing I should be looking at on this 2003 that would help me figure this out?

Thanks...Jeff

2. Ed Ke6bnl

Ed Ke6bnl New Member

Car:
    2002 VW Jetta TDI
    Mods:
    none
    one thing is that there is oil mixed with the refrigerant SO a visible leak will often have oil deposited at the leak. just for starters.

3. crsmp5

crsmp5 Well-Known Member

Car:
    85 kubvan
    well... need a set of ac gauges to read both high and low side... if they same compressor took a poop and needs replaced..be warned.. you may blow up the low pressure gauge.. i have a few times... note.. not supposed to be same

next.. never just put freon in.. if its over filled it will have too high a pressure to turn on... aka i put stuff in on a cold day.. now its 95 out and my ac does not work... the ambient air temp is now hot nuff to raise the system pressure keeping the ac off

4. Keithuk

Keithuk Super Moderator

Car:
    2010 Golf GTD (170) CBBB
    When was the A/C last re-gassed and re-oiled?

You need to get your motor scanned (preferably with VAG-COM\VCDS) for any error codes logged in the ecu and post them, that will save a lot of guessing. If will check the components out.

5. crsmp5

crsmp5 Well-Known Member

Car:
    85 kubvan
    how does vagcom tell ac pressures??? much rather do that then blow up any more ac gauges... if it cannot do that vagcom on ac, then its a waste of time to even mention when he tells of the low side being in the red on a cheap gauge on the low side... set of gauges... if same pressure on both high/low bad compressor.. if low a little high but not same high as high.. then when guy added freon before he got it he over filled it.. worked till the outside temp got high nuff to turn it off... which is easy.. bleed off some freon and will work again... but if compressor bad.. will not help

till that gauge on the can in a normal, not red range it will never turn on as the system has a pressure switch to keep it off

Last edited: Jul 16, 2017
  6. Keithuk

Keithuk Super Moderator

Car:
    2010 Golf GTD (170) CBBB
  7. crsmp5

crsmp5 Well-Known Member

Car:
    85 kubvan
    thanks did not know it would do that... so if he gets a "low side" gauge with real numbers not green-red graph and he looks at that he should be able to tell whats going on i assume

8. eddi887

eddi887 Member

Car:
    2003 Jetta TDI
    Mods:
    Air intake
    Ed Ke6bnl, crsmp5, Keithuk,

Thank you all for your responses. I haven't seen anything that would indicate a leak, and the gauge showed in the red, overcharge, so I don't think it would do that if the freon had leaked out.
    I'm waiting for an ordered set of gauges; hope they don't blow up! lol
    I don't have VCDS, or know of anyone in my area that has, so I'm kind of stuck in that respect. I plan on buying it at some point, but want to make sure nothing major pops up on the car in the next few months, as I'm limited on my parts funds.

Thanks again...Jeff

9. Keithuk

Keithuk Super Moderator

Car:
    2010 Golf GTD (170) CBBB
    Well your in Dallas so pop into your local AutoZone they will do a free scan in the hope you buy something of them. I don't think the have VCDS but its a start.

We do have VAG-COM/VCDS User Locations but very few users add their details.

When A/C systems are re-gassed and re-oiled they also put in a dye which will show up any leaks you have in the system.

Last edited: Jul 20, 2017
  10. crsmp5

crsmp5 Well-Known Member

Car:
    85 kubvan
    his is over pressurizied on the low side.. so not leak issue... :p is it over filled or did the compressor fail is the question...

you can buy cans of r134 freon at biglots for $8 or less if on sale.. best unknown deal out there if you need to recharge it.. walmrt 2x as much along with the auto box stores..

lay a nice leather work glove over the gauges as you hook up the lines.. same goes for when turning on a oxy/acetiline torches or argon tank.. lay the welding glove on the gauge then turn on.. this way if something does break, the glove will stop from hitting you..

it over swells the blue/low side gauge... plastic cracks pretty easy when it receives too much pressure.. the high side is made for the high pressure.. so only the 1 blows.. id almost get a 2nd high gauge.. remove and swap it with the low.. then hook up to see if same.. if same compressor is bad... then swap back in the low gauge to recharge.. only cause im expecting the compressor failed... but damb it.. he just topped off the freon before you got it... so may be overfilled..

Last edited: Jul 18, 2017
  11. eddi887

eddi887 Member

Car:
    2003 Jetta TDI
    Mods:
    Air intake
    Keithuk,

I will do that. Like you said, it's a start.

crsmp5,

Thanks for the tip on Biglots, I think we have some of those in the Austin area, I'll check. I'll take your advice on covering the gauges, better safe then sorry.

I did receive my ac manifold yesterday, my son bought it for me, bless his heart! But, it didn't have the adapters with it, so I'm waiting on those now. In the meantime I'm checking anything else that may be related, fuses, fans, etc. And as Keithuk mentioned, I'll stop in at Autozone and get a readout as well.

Thank you both for the advice and information.

Jeff

12. Keithuk

Keithuk Super Moderator

Car:
    2010 Golf GTD (170) CBBB
  13. eddi887

eddi887 Member

Car:
    2003 Jetta TDI
    Mods:
    Air intake
    Keithuk, thanks for the link...

I received the adapters for the AC manifold, but still need to hook up the new fuse block before I can move forward.

When all this started, I was at the Gulf coast and had mentioned that I bought a can of 134 with a gauge, thinking it was low. However, in hooking up that can and seeing it in the red, I let out some of the Freon. In the process, some of the oil came out too. It probably wasn't as much as it seemed because it was blowing out under pressure, but wanted to get opinions on whether I should add any oil back when I start checking out the system? I also bought a vacuum pump so I can do this properly, and make sure that the system will hold a vacuum, and that it is clean before adding anything back.

Thanks...Jeff

14. crsmp5

crsmp5 Well-Known Member

Car:
    85 kubvan
    if compresor bad, you will be adding oil due to the new one... so moot point... if its over charged just needing some relief.. you will loose more oil yet..

owning pump good.. but only needed if you open the system up like changing the compressor...

15. eddi887

eddi887 Member

Car:
    2003 Jetta TDI
    Mods:
    Air intake
    Good Day All,

A question in regards to the AC manifold I have. I got the quick connect adapters for the high and low hoses, that all works fine. I then bought a can adapter, but in looking at the service hose, (yellow), I'm seeing a Schrader valve in it that the can adapter doesn't touch, so I cannot use the manifold as it is to add anything, and I'm assuming that I can't pull a vacuum either. I am evidently missing something, but what?

By the way, I'm measuring about 12 psi on both low and high side, with AC running or not. The clutch is not engaging. I did try to add some Freon with one of the cheap gauges that came with a can of Freon, but no response from the compressor, so I'm guessing from what has been said, the compressor is bad?

Also, does anyone have any experience with the AC kits they sell on Ebay? I'm looking at a couple that replace everything but the lines and evaporator. Most have a one year warranty.

Thanks...Jeff

16. crsmp5

crsmp5 Well-Known Member

Car:
    85 kubvan
    a valve core removal tool for tires/tubes should be able to remove the valve if stuck with wrong adapter... but ya better make sure the knobs are off when removing anything on the yellow line... vac pump/freon.. cause it will ruin a vac job pretty quick.. :p when you hook up the freon and get ready to loosen the low knob.. first loosen the yellow line and purge the air bubble out at the manifold.. the shrader valve would have prevented.... old r12 ac trick.. before everything got shrader valves... and i still purge the air out at the manifold though... even with them as air bad...

man 12 psi sounds low.... like outta freon low preventing ac from turning on... or do you mean 120 maybe which will also prevent on?? if not look at rear of ac compressor.. is it wet in oil? there is a pressure releif valve that is now stuck open letting all the juice excape... it opened when low side was in red and has let it drop to no pressure.. OR the can of stuff with cheap gauge lied.. whats it say when hooked up now?? if not in the red.. got new issue :) but really points to bad compressor as fault

17. eddi887

eddi887 Member

Car:
    2003 Jetta TDI
    Mods:
    Air intake
    Crsmp5,

I was under the car today to look at the compressor and it is so dirty I can't tell if anything leaked out.

I heard there was a way to jump the clutch, but I don't know if that would do anything in regards to getting it to start taking in freon. No, the gauges are on around 12 psi, I don't know what to think.

Do you have an opinion on the AC kits they sell on eBay? Most have a one year warranty. That seems like a fairly normal period, but I don't want to install junk. This is not something I want to do twice, if I replace the components.

Thanks...Jeff

18. speedy223

speedy223 New Member

Car:
    98 new beetle tdi
    I have used ac kits on ebay for last 14 cars I have done. literally. granted not all vw. some fords, dodges, Hondas. no problems. only difference between them and oreillys or wherever is better warranty from the bay and about 1/3 of the price for a complete kit. look for a seller with thousands of sales, good review and you will be golden. have not had one fail yet and the one on my ford is going on 6 years of constant use so when it does I wont even be mad. the parts store wants 3 x as much and only 3 month warranty mostly. lol. one place ebay smokes them. if they were lifetime I would buy them from parts store like starters etc... you need a vacuum pump of course etc...easy to change. just for the record it did that on my new beetle and I was really stumped at it sicne compressor was new etc and had a good charge. turned out to be a failing high pressure switch.... I found it by accident when I was swearing at it trying to put on my gauges to read it and bumped that high pressure switch and the ac switched on. only high pressure switch I have ever replaced.

19. crsmp5

crsmp5 Well-Known Member

Car:
    85 kubvan
    no idea on ebay kit... but ill take a gander this winter as a guy wants to add ac to his mk2 tdi swap... think i have him talked into getting custom rad made so its not too difficult.. car has nib evaporater already installed (still vac sealed).. but every thing under hood missing.. :p

if ebay kit works out.. ill need to get the benz rear heater/ac system to add ac to my toaster at that point... :p it needs both a front/rear ac/heat for when camping.. ill let the tdi idle for heat/ac as the bit of fuel it may use.. is still less then a motel

that can with gauge... did you hook it back up to see if still in red??

20. eddi887

eddi887 Member

Car:
    2003 Jetta TDI
    Mods:
    Air intake
    Speedy233,

Thanks for info. I feel better about buying on eBay now. It's always good to know that someone has been there, done that!lol

I'll check the high pressure switch, that was on my list as I'm checking things over. I don't want to start throwing parts at it to resolve the problem. I would much rather figure out what's going on; although replacing everything under the hood for a car this age wouldn't be a bad idea, as I plan on keeping it.

Crsmp5,

Sounds like speedy233 has had some good experience with eBay ac parts, so I'll probably go that route if I have to replace anything.

Sounds like you'll have your hands full with those two projects!

In regards to the can gauge, I never hooked it back up, it got used in my son's car so never got the chance.

I'm still trying to troubleshoot this thing. I'm by no means an expert, but would like to resolve this with minimal cost, if at all possible. Although, this Texas heat may win out, and I'll replace it all just to get it working!lol

Thank you both for the support.

Jeff