A4 TDI (quattro?) in US

Discussion in 'Audi Q5, Q7, Touareg TDI, Porsche Cayenne forum' started by ashrivastava, Sep 17, 2010.

1. ashrivastava

ashrivastava New Member

Car:
    2005 Acura
    Hello - Although I'm new to this forum, I've been a fan of the Audi TDI's ever since they started putting this clean technology in their cars. Although I've been patiently waiting for Audi USA to bring the TDI version of A4 Avant (preferably in quattro form) for over 2 years, its disappointing for this year's lineup to not include that offering. I would have considered the A3 TDI, but its too small for our family use and no Quattro! Have no interest in the Q7.

Can someone with better insight share as to what Audi USA is thinking about adding the A4 Avant TDI to the A4 lineup for 2011 (or 2012?)

Thanks
    Atul Shrivastava
    login to remove this ad
  2. chittychittybangbang

chittychittybangbang Administrator

Car:
    2006 Jetta TDI
    Here are my thoughts, the long version: http://www.myturbodiesel.com/1000q/Audia48k/2012-audi-A4-tdi-avant-faq.htm

The short version: Not for 2011, possibly for model year 2012. The 3.0L engine is already certified and used in the Q7 and VW Touareg but the 170hp 2.0L engine is what they should have. It's got about 240 lb-ft torque which is plenty for moving the car. It won't be fast but it'll be the most efficient luxury car out there and solidly occupy the niche that the BMW 335d hasn't.
  3. ashrivastava

ashrivastava New Member

Car:
    2005 Acura
    Agree with you on the niche that a A4 TDI would have, especially in today's markets. I read some comments on Audi forums which makes me believe that if the 3.0L engine was being contemplated, the resulting pricing would make the A4 TDI project uncompetitive (the base model would be ~$50k), in league with BMW 335d. So the more likely option is for Audi to go with the 170hp 2.0L powerplant. Isn't this already offered in the European lineup? Is that unit certified for US purposes?
  4. Sipper

Sipper New Member

3rd on the Audi A4 TDI for the US. I'm waiting for the confirmation:nana2:

The Audi would have quattro though, the 335d is RWD only. The 170hp engine is not in the US. I don't agree on the price though. If people want a luxurious fuel efficient AWD car they would pay for the Audi. The real question is how much over the regular 2.0 engine would it be?
  5. ashrivastava

ashrivastava New Member

Car:
    2005 Acura
    Since I'm based in NYC, I went to talk with reps at the Audi Forum located midtown during lunch today. The feedback I got was currently there are no plans to bring A4 TDI to US, which they tried to explain as given where gas prices are today, the $$ savings for additional mileage on TDI being offset with additional cost for an A4 TDI model. Moreover, the additional costs (to Audi) as upfront costs for approvals to sell the A4 TDI here are not justified since they see potential A4 TDI buyers to be current Audi owners in addition the SUVcentric/agnostic to diesel technology bias of the US car buyer.

I think Audi is looking short term, rather than planning ahead 3 years gas prices are more likely to be much higher than today akin to what happened in 07-08 which would make cars yielding higher mileage much more compelling.

As I said earlier, its very disappointing to hear that there won't we an A4 Avant TDI quattro coming to US anytime soon.

Would like to hear from other readers as to their thoughts on this....
  6. blupearl

blupearl New Member

7. ashrivastava

ashrivastava New Member

Car:
    2005 Acura
    The place typically showcases 2-3 cars in a open layout. I've seen a couple of Audi DTM series cars and even a LeMans machine in the past couple of years (my office is located very closeby). BTW I also called Audi US HQ's and got the same answer - no current plans to bring A4 Avant TDI to the US.
  8. ashrivastava

ashrivastava New Member

Car:
    2005 Acura
    Has anyone explored importing a European spec A4 Avant TDI to the US? Is that even worth contemplating?
  9. chittychittybangbang

chittychittybangbang Administrator

Car:
    2006 Jetta TDI
  10. BMWnugen

BMWnugen New Member

11. ashrivastava

ashrivastava New Member

Car:
    2005 Acura
    any competitiors that I can look at? Does BMW/MB offer TDI wagon with 4wd option? (no interest in SUV/XV)
  12. philcollison

philcollison Member

Car:
    2006 A4 Avant Quattro
    The car you want would need to be purchased (and registered) in Europe where they love wagons, love diesels and love diesel wagons. Here in the US, the closest you come is the A3. There is also the Q7 but you said no SUVs and this one's an uber-SUV. Maybe there will come an A4 TDI, but I doubt this will be made available in an Avant.
  13. ashrivastava

ashrivastava New Member

Car:
    2005 Acura
    surprised to hear that A4 coupe sells much better than the Avant over here.
  14. mar

mar New Member

No Way Jose for Audi A4 TDI

Sorry to be somewhat cynical but here goes.

The Audi A4 with full power leather leather seats, automatic temperature control, sun roof and Navigation is in the $42,000 to $44,000 range with the 2.0 liter DSG tranny. Therefore you are probably looking at $48,000 or so for the TDI.

Just as the Audi A1 is not coming and the Passat Wagon for 2011 is not coming and the Schirocco "R" is not coming and the Golf GTD is not coming and the Polo Blue Motion is not coming and on and on and on so the A4 will not be here either in my opinion.

You could either a. move to Europe or b. buy a JSW TDI which has more cargo room than the A4 and sells for like $8000 less. All wheel drive in NYC? Do you really need it or just want it.
    While the A4 is good looking Audi is a company that takes you for a big ride when it comes to price.
    Go with the less is more JSW TDI, save some bucks and enjoy!