A screw fell inside my TDI Engine Head need advice

Discussion in 'VW Mk4 Jetta, Golf, New Beetle, Passat TDI forum' started by raulrs, Feb 11, 2011.

1. raulrs

raulrs New Member

Car:
    New Beetle TDI 1998
    Finally after a month waiting I received my USA imported Timing Belt so time to finish the assambling.

But here comes a horror story, installing the cam plastic cover one of the screws from this cover FELL INSIDE THE ENGINE HEAD into what it looks like a oil drain hole in the middle ( the screw is like 25mm long by 4 mm width).

I tried to grab it with a magnet tip etc. but it seems to be beyond reach.

Will it end up in the oil baffle or sticked in the walls? Do I need to remove the head again?
    Should I just leave it there, could it damage the crank? I am literaly screw up !! Need advice thanks !!
    login to remove this ad
  2. Seatman

Seatman Active Member

Car:
    2000 Mk4 Golf Estate 1.9tdi 174 bhp
    Mods:
    PP764's, turbo and mapping
    That isn't so good, I'd remove the sump/oil pan and see if it's either in there or maybe you could push it up with a piece of stiff wire from the bottom.
  3. chittychittybangbang

chittychittybangbang Administrator

Car:
    2006 Jetta TDI
    Try a flexible magnet tip.

Yes, remove the oil sump and try to flush it out. Do not run the engine with a screw bouncing around the oil passage! It shouldn't damage the crankshaft bearings because the moving parts are covered and the oil is coming from a filtered source. If it ends up in the sump it won't get sucked up because there is a screen. Worst case it gets caught somewhere and shatters, sending metal bits everywhere so yes you want to find it.
  4. raulrs

raulrs New Member

Car:
    New Beetle TDI 1998
    Fixed !!

Thanks for your support !!, Daylight and a cleared mind allowed me to see the shinny screw in the oil hole between the engine head and the monoblock. Twisting a magnetized tip I was able to reach it and get it out.
  5. Seatman

Seatman Active Member

Car:
    2000 Mk4 Golf Estate 1.9tdi 174 bhp
    Mods:
    PP764's, turbo and mapping
    Good result and I bet that's a relief too:)
  6. rmchambers

rmchambers New Member

Car:
    2003 Jetta GLS
    Mods:
    Panzer Plate, FMJ, Block coolant heater
    If it happens again...

I've used one of my wifes panty hose (stocking) over the shop-vacuum and sucked little things out of places they shouldn't have gone. It's good for non-ferrous things that won't stick to a magnet.