1. Welcome to myturbodiesel.com, if this is your first visit, please read 1000 answered questions - TDI FAQ, DIY, and Wiki by clicking the link here or in the navigation bar above. Click the "Sign up Now" button to the right to create an account, registration is fast and free.
  2. After you create a free account, every subforum has reply boxes. Here is a thread showing how to create an account or post a new question, shown with pictures

-99 passat tdi, engine control/sensors problem

Discussion in 'VW Mk4 Jetta, Golf, New Beetle, Passat TDI forum' started by Wizzman, Mar 14, 2011.

1. Wizzman

Wizzman New Member

Car:
    Audi A4 2.0 TDI 2007 140Hp
    Hello!

A Co-worker has a -99 110Hp passat tdi.
    Last wednesday it started going rough when his girlfriend drove to work, just like the injection timing was off, and soon after that the glow plug indicator lamp started to flash.

He got the car home on a trailer and we´ve had a look at it yesterday.

The car will start fine, but runs rough.
    The following fault codes were present:

5 Faults Found

17849 - EGR Valve (N18): Open Circuit or Short to Ground
    P1441 - 35-10 - - - Intermittent
    17552 - Mass Air Flow Sensor (G70): Open or Short to Ground
    P1144 - 35-00 - -
    17957 - Boost Pressure Regulation Valve (N75): Open or Short to Ground
    P1549 - 35-10 - - - Intermittent
    17660 - Commencement of Injection Valve (N108): Open or Short to Ground
    P1252 - 35-10 - - - Intermittent
    00741 - Brake Pedal Monitoring
    27-00 - Implausible Signal

I erased them, and all but the 17552 and 17660 came back immediatly. (maybe i have to start the car for it to throw those codes?).

I´m thinking the N75 could not have failed without him noticing it.
    The MAF could not have failed without him noticing it. I dont know about the EGR and the N108 tho.

But i´m guessing the problem is something that these sensors/valves has in common - not that they are all broken.

I´ve searched the forum, and found a not about Fuse 34 that are supposed to control exactly these things - but there is no Fuse 34 in this car. Also all fuses seems OK.

Any ideas on what could be the problem? Are there any common ground for these things? A power supply they have in common? Or should i suspect the ECU (i find that unlikely).
    login to remove this ad
  2. Seatman

Seatman Active Member

Car:
    2000 Mk4 Golf Estate 1.9tdi 174 bhp
    Mods:
    PP764's, turbo and mapping
    It could be the ecu if it's wet, I had other problems with my car when I got it and it turned out the ecu was soaked through but the good news is that after pulling it apart, cleaning some crud off the board and giving it a good dry out then resealing it all back up it has been great ever since. The other thing is it might be worth checking the engine wiring for any chaffing or breaks, just a couple of things to look at anyway. Apart from that you could try cleaning the maf, there's info in the faq for the maf, I'm not sure about the injector valve though.:)

welcometomyturbodies
  3. chittychittybangbang

chittychittybangbang Administrator

Car:
    2006 Jetta TDI
    Common ground is possible. Not sure about exactly where it would be on that car but the passat-audi a4 major ground, in general, have them along the firewall and under the battery. This could also be chafed wiring, the 99 is starting to get old and the wires can get brittle. Any spot where it has rubbed for 12 years can't be expected to last. Check along the main wiring harnesses.

The brake pedal monitoring is normally a faulty brake pedal light switch. I believe it also makes the glow plug light flash. There are a few things which can make it flash w/o being related to glow plugs.

There have been a few bad ECU on Passat because leaves or ice forms a dam under the windshield which causes water to pool underneath that area. It can then leak onto the relay panel which is right under-behind the windshield-dashboard area. The gaskets there aren't the best at preventing standing water from getting in and this is a well known problem on B5 generation Passat-A4. A lot of leaking should be visible w/wet carpeting but a little can be enough to cause corrosion. Some genius also put the CCM and automatic transmission computers and major ground underneath the front carpeting where your feet rest so if there is significant water leaking in, those can also get damaged. There is a gasket on their box but it can still get wet. There is a writeup for removing these computers in the FAQ section.
  4. Keithuk

Keithuk Super Moderator

Car:
    2010 Golf GTD (170) CBBB
    VAG Error Code: 17849
    EOBD II Error Code: P1441

Fault Location:
    Exhaust gas recirculation (EGR) valve/solenoid, bank 1 - open circuit/short to earth

Possible Cause:
    Wiring open circuit/short to earth.
    Exhaust gas recirculation (EGR) solenoid.

VAG Error Code: 17552
    EOBD II Error Code: P1144

Fault Location:
    Mass air flow (MAF) sensor (G70), bank 1 - open circuit/short to earth

Possible Cause:
    Mass air flow (MAF) sensor (G70).

VAG Error Code: 17957
    EOBD II Error Code: P1549

Fault Location:
    Turbocharger (TC) wastegate regulating valve - open circuit/short to earth

Possible Cause:
    Turbocharger (TC) wastegate regulating valve.

VAG Error Code: 17660
    EOBD II Error Code: P1252

Fault Location:
    Fuel injection timing solenoid - open circuit/short to earth

Possible Cause:
    Fuel injection timing solenoid.

VAG Error Code: 00741

Fault Location:
    Stop lamp switch/Brake pedal position (BPP) switch - signal correlation

Possible Cause:
    Wiring.
    Both switch positions not synchronised.
    Stop lamp switch.
    Brake pedal position (BPP) switch.

As taken from my http://www.myturbodiesel.com/forum/f9/free-eobd-ii-error-codes-software-2919/ ;)
  5. Wizzman

Wizzman New Member

Car:
    Thanks guys!

We´ve removed the ECU, and it´s completely dry, there are no signs of moisture around it, or even inside it.
    We´ll continue looking thru the wire harness and se if we can find anything.

/Daniel
  6. Wizzman

Wizzman New Member

Car:
    Problem solved

Problem solved! :nana2:

Yesterday i had the possability to look at the wiring diagram in Autodata, and i found out that Relay 219 is feeding current to all these things via a 15A fuse. Both the fuse and the relay is located right next to the ECU.

We thaught we checked all the fuses there, but missed this one until we removed the relay.

We replaced the fuse and turned on ignition and smoke came from the front right corner of the engine bay. There seems to be some kind of heater in the crank case ventilation hose betweeen the turbocharger and the valve cover.

We unplugged it and found out the connector was almost melted.
    He´ll buy a new heater or whatever it is, and buy a new connector from the junk jard.

All fault codes cleared and the car runs great.
    He changed the timing belt while he had the car in the garage, and i checked the timing today when i had VCDS connected and it was within spec :nana2: