97 passat tdi

Discussion in 'VW Mk3 Jetta, Passat TDI and other/older diesels' started by adio8373, Sep 19, 2010.

1. adio8373

adio8373 New Member

Car:
    1997 passat tdi sedan
    Mods:
    10,000psi boost at idle
    so way back in 4 when the oil supply to the turbo failed my car has been out. oddly, today i was checking the car out and found out the egr cooler had been filled with oil between then and now. how in the hell could about 3/4 of a quart of motor oil get to the cooler?

thanks justin
    login to remove this ad
  2. chittychittybangbang

chittychittybangbang Administrator

Car:
    2006 Jetta TDI
    Are you sure it's not wet carbon build up? Oil going out the exhaust and into the cooler is unlikely. Maybe it's oil going from a bad EGR valve and back into the cooler?
  3. bill gibson

bill gibson New Member

It was pouring out? That's what 10,000 psi boost at idle will do according to your profile! If true, that much oil could cause a runaway TDI engine.
  4. adio8373

adio8373 New Member

Car:
    1997 passat tdi sedan
    Mods:
    10,000psi boost at idle
    okay heres the story: months ago i was doing about 80 on the highway and the engine died out, turns out it ended up ebing the oil feed to the turbo. ever since thent he car was just sitting untill i moved it into the garage and started checking different things on it. and just a heads up i wrote EGR before, but its actually the CAC for the turbo. so now it leads me to believe the turbo might have a bad seal. also how can you tell when hydraulic lifters are bad? i took the valve cover off and there is an awful lot of play in them. i didnt bar the engine but just pressing on lifters that were not in contact with the cam lobe, the all moved about a quarter inch. could this becauseing my ticking, almost sounds like valves.

thanks again, sorry for the mistake
    justin
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 23, 2010
  5. chittychittybangbang

chittychittybangbang Administrator

Car:
    2006 Jetta TDI
    It's possible the hydraulic lifters are clogged and not working correctly which would cause ticking. They should normally be touching the cam lobes when at rest. What is the CAC for the turbo?
  6. adio8373

adio8373 New Member

Car:
    1997 passat tdi sedan
    Mods:
    10,000psi boost at idle
    the CAC or charge air cooler is what people who drive honda's call "intercoolers" to cool the hot compressed turbo air. only a true intercooler has engine coolant it aswell as charge air cooling intake air. the 97 passat has a small one under the car in back of the drivers headight. what i dont understand is if the supply to the turbo was cut and it eventually would run out of the turbo, how would it gain pressure to possibly blow the seals in the turbo? of course thats without saying the return was clogged, built the pressure inside the turbo, and blew the seals and the supply line. i havent checked it out yet but im planning on taking the intake manifold, EGR and turbo off for inspection and cleaning. hopefully my turbo isnt blown. i have noticed in the past the cast iron turbine side has alot of very deep pits. how can this happen?

thanks, justin
  7. pearlgolf

pearlgolf New Member

The turbo wheel damage is foreign object debris and if it's unbalanced, the wheel is bad. That much oil = turbo seals blown.
  8. adio8373

adio8373 New Member

Car:
    1997 passat tdi sedan
    Mods:
    10,000psi boost at idle
    well i dont know about the turbine wheel, the pitting i see is on the outside of the housing. what is that caused by?