96 passat heavy smoke

Discussion in 'VW Mk3 Jetta, Passat TDI and other/older diesels' started by ayasia, Dec 28, 2011.

1. ayasia

ayasia New Member

Car:
    1996 Passat
    First time on the forum guys and possibly gals :dunno

Bought a 96 passat tdi, the thing started from a half turn, no smoke, good power, great mileage (50mpg), fifth injector I plugged myself.

It was run down so I did some work to it; timing belt and pulleys, intermediate shaft bearing, vibration dampner, tensioner arm, bushings and roller, new serp belt and waterpump belt.

While I was waiting for some parts, I decided to up the nozzles to .205 bosio sprint 520s. KermaTDI installed and adjusted the pop pressure from 190/300 to 230/300. After putting the car together and adjusting everything, the car had great power but dropped to mid 40s in mpg. As soon as the weather cooled, the thing started smoking heavy white smoke on morning and afterwork startups. Timing was set to 70 advance according to Vag-Com, iq at 113 or 7.5-8mg/str.

I tried putting a set of ALH injector bodies with the original .184 nozzles in it and it still smokes alot on cold startup but has no power at all even with setting the timing to 55 and upping the iq to 118 or 6mg/str and the engine vibrates more with the smaller nozzles

Am I supposed to reprogram the ECU for the 220bar injectors? Anyone have an idea whats going on?

Thanks in advance!
    login to remove this ad
  2. chittychittybangbang

chittychittybangbang Administrator

Car:
    2006 Jetta TDI
    Can you remove the nozzles and check for damage? Smoke on startup if not oil is fuel from leaky nozzles. No power could be from bad nozzles. However, since you've swapped the injectors and nozzles and it doesn't make a difference, I don't know what's going on.

going from 190 to higher bar pop advances injection because it shortens time from pilot to main injection. The original injectors and ALH injectors should be similar in this respect. Shouldn't have to reprogram the ECU for higher bar and shouldn't result in no power. Can you swap the original nozzles-inj back in and see if it's fixed?
  3. ayasia

ayasia New Member

Car:
    1996 Passat
    When I removed the upgraded injectors after about 5k miles. They had heavy carbon deposits on the tips. Putting the original nozzles on a used set of working ALH injector bodies, removes smoke under heavy load but drastically reduces power also. The car used to speed up on hills, now I cant speed up to speed to get on the freeway. I am thinking of putting the .205s back in, reducing the fueling a tad more and installing an engine heater for the cold starts.