600 miles, this is why I drive TDI

Discussion in 'General Diesel Discussion' started by chittychittybangbang, Dec 4, 2016.

1. chittychittybangbang

chittychittybangbang Administrator

Car:
    2006 Jetta TDI
    Despite some reliability issues and the tarnishing of TDI with dieselgate, I still like my older TDI. With winterized fuel and mostly highway trips, I was still able to get over 45 mpg and 600 miles of range.

I knew how far it was to the station I usually use, so I chose to live dangerously ;) 10 miles range according to the MFD and the gauge was at E when I filled up. I've had to drive it below 0 miles of range left so I knew there was still some range remaining below 10 miles. That instance wasn't my fault and your mileage may vary (literally).

600.jpg

diep likes this.
  2. 2011GolfTDI

2011GolfTDI Member

Car:
    2011 Golf TDI DSG
    Good to see that the old TDI is still turning in enviable fuel economy. However...

I've driven a couple thousand miles in my parent's 2016 Jetta TSI 1.4 and the fuel economy is in the ballpark with a TDI. Just filled up the tank the other night and computed 41.1 mpg with a mix of highway and stop-and-go driving. Drove a 60-mile round trip a few days ago and averaged 46 mpg with mostly highway driving. I miss the torque my 2.0L TDI but great fuel economy is no longer the exclusive realm of diesels.

frodoz737 likes this.
  3. diep

diep Member

Car:
    VW Bora TDI, 1999
    Mods:
    ECU tuning, Firad DSLA 150P 502 nozzle , EGR deleted
    On which drive speed and what car / hp / tuning?

4. chittychittybangbang

chittychittybangbang Administrator

Car:
    2006 Jetta TDI
    This was normal driving speed, 70-75 highway (where speed limit allows of course) and normal city driving speeds.

Car was a 2006 PD Jetta TDI, about 130 hp, kermaTDI tune.

5. gt4494

gt4494 Active Member

Car:
    2005 NB
    Southeast Coast on I-95. Radar detector on and yes Herbie still gets 40mpg at 80 mph
    I drive my stone stock '05 about 70% highway (78 mph av using my V1) and the rest city or slower cruising. Over the last 200K miles it has averaged 38.8 (I'm anal and have a spreadsheet). I average 500 miles per week and don't even think about needing gas until I have 550 miles on the tank (thanks to the ventectomy).

Not bad for a NB with DSG and now over 255K miles on it. The whole reason for me having the car is my long distance commutes in relative comfort. I know others with cars that get better mpg but after about 100miles at a stretch they are ready to take a break. The VW not so much.

I will probably sell the car next year if I retire and quit the commutes. Until then it is set the cruise and watch the miles go by at a very inexpensive rate. :)