600 miles, this is why I drive TDI

Discussion in 'General Diesel Discussion' started by chittychittybangbang, Dec 4, 2016.

1. chittychittybangbang

chittychittybangbang Administrator

Car:
    2006 Jetta TDI
    Despite some reliability issues and the tarnishing of TDI with dieselgate, I still like my older TDI. With winterized fuel and mostly highway trips, I was still able to get over 45 mpg and 600 miles of range.

I knew how far it was to the station I usually use, so I chose to live dangerously ;) 10 miles range according to the MFD and the gauge was at E when I filled up. I've had to drive it below 0 miles of range left so I knew there was still some range remaining below 10 miles. That instance wasn't my fault and your mileage may vary (literally).

600.jpg

diep likes this.
    login to remove this ad
  2. 2011GolfTDI

2011GolfTDI Member

Car:
    2011 Golf TDI DSG
    Good to see that the old TDI is still turning in enviable fuel economy. However...

I've driven a couple thousand miles in my parent's 2016 Jetta TSI 1.4 and the fuel economy is in the ballpark with a TDI. Just filled up the tank the other night and computed 41.1 mpg with a mix of highway and stop-and-go driving. Drove a 60-mile round trip a few days ago and averaged 46 mpg with mostly highway driving. I miss the torque my 2.0L TDI but great fuel economy is no longer the exclusive realm of diesels.

frodoz737 likes this.
  3. diep

diep Member

Car:
    VW Bora TDI, 1999
    Mods:
    ECU tuning, Firad DSLA 150P 502 nozzle , EGR deleted
    On which drive speed and what car / hp / tuning?

4. chittychittybangbang

chittychittybangbang Administrator

Car:
    2006 Jetta TDI
    This was normal driving speed, 70-75 highway (where speed limit allows of course) and normal city driving speeds.

Car was a 2006 PD Jetta TDI, about 130 hp, kermaTDI tune.

5. gt4494

gt4494 Active Member

Car:
    2005 NB
    Southeast Coast on I-95. Radar detector on and yes Herbie still gets 40mpg at 80 mph
    I drive my stone stock '05 about 70% highway (78 mph av using my V1) and the rest city or slower cruising. Over the last 200K miles it has averaged 38.8 (I'm anal and have a spreadsheet). I average 500 miles per week and don't even think about needing gas until I have 550 miles on the tank (thanks to the ventectomy).

Not bad for a NB with DSG and now over 255K miles on it. The whole reason for me having the car is my long distance commutes in relative comfort. I know others with cars that get better mpg but after about 100miles at a stretch they are ready to take a break. The VW not so much.

I will probably sell the car next year if I retire and quit the commutes. Until then it is set the cruise and watch the miles go by at a very inexpensive rate. :)