2015 Passat headlight light quality

Discussion in '2012-2016 VW Passat TDI forum' started by erikwi, May 12, 2016.

1. erikwi

erikwi Member

Car:
    2005 Jetta mk5 TDI
    Mods:
    DG Sigma5 shift kit, Malone Stage 1 tune, EGR delete, race pipe, more to come!
    I posted this question in my thread in the general diesel discussion section and realized that was probably not the right place.

I'm eyeing a 2015 Passat SEL Premium pretty hard. What I'm not sure about is the light output of the headlights. The recent IIHS headligh study rated the 2016 model as having poor headlights. I'm looking for feedback from owners to see what real world experience reveals. Thoughts people?

2. chittychittybangbang

chittychittybangbang Administrator

Car:
    2006 Jetta TDI
    If that's the only thing wrong with it, you can swap in HID housings. The new Passat has LED headlights, I believe too, but I'm not sure what is needed to swap them, if at all possible, or cost prohibitive.

3. erikwi

erikwi Member

Car:
    2005 Jetta mk5 TDI
    Mods:
    DG Sigma5 shift kit, Malone Stage 1 tune, EGR delete, race pipe, more to come!
    That's about the last holdback for me CCBB. I'm willing to try a DSG, especially since finding a TDI with real leather and a manual is proving impossible. I was looking for an A3 TDi premium with the xenon lights but so far haven't been able to locate the color I want. I think right now people are holding onto their TDIs, waiting for the buyback.

Was HID lights an option for the Passat at some point?

4. sohccammer427

sohccammer427 New Member

Car:
    2015 Passat SE Tdi 6 Speed Manual
    Mods:
    Kenwood KSC-SW11 Subwoofer
    I've got a 2015 Passat with what I guess are the regular halogen bulb type. They are no less bright that my 2006 Jetta with halogen. I have no "illumination" issues with them at all.

In traffic I don't need distance lighting. Lone vehicle, I use hi beams. Works fine for me.

5. danbl68

danbl68 Member

Car:
    2012 Volkswagen Passat TDI SEL
    Not sure if I am too late for this but I am selling my HID Audi-style LEDs on Ebay. Let me know what you think. http://www.ebay.com/itm/Super-Brigh...ash=item25c350a17a:g:MHAAAOSwawpXs8yj&vxp=mtr

6. danbl68

danbl68 Member

Car:
    2012 Volkswagen Passat TDI SEL
  7. TDINorth

TDINorth Member

Car:
    2013 Passat TDI Highline 6M, 2014 Q5 TDI,
    Lamps deteriorate in about 3 years. If you replace them at those intervals the light should not be too bad. Remember though, if you have really bright lights and you dim for oncoming cars then you are temporary blind due to the darkness of the dimmed light. That is the only drawback with bright high beam that I see.

8. Christopher Yeager

Christopher Yeager New Member

Car:
    2015 MK7 Passat TDI
    Mods:
    Under Warranty
    Literally just bought 4 TDIs with leather this month. Hard to believe you can't find them.
    For the headlights, they work good. 2 of us work midnights going down country back roads without overhead lights. I think you're a little crazy to not buy a car because it's headlight ratings are low, bulbs and assemblies are always replaceable.