2013 Sportswagon washer and wiper issue

Discussion in 'Mk7 VW Golf, Sportwagen and Audi A3 TDI forums' started by alaskax, Jul 10, 2016.

1. alaskax

alaskax New Member

Car:
    2013 Jetta Sportswagon TDI; 2004 Golf TDI
    Mods:
    Rocketchip tune in Golf
    Weird. I hate these kind. Got the Jetta for a steal 6 months ago- only had 5K miles on it, but was in a wreck and was fixed/restored. Almost. Washer reservoir busted/would not hold water. So, I replaced that. Prior to my replacing, the wipers worked, and the washer motor ran. Now afterward, new reservoir installed, and REAR wiper/washer works as designed. Nothing works for front- no wipers, and and washer motor does not activate. I just do not see what I could have done to cause this from changing the reservoir, and hooking the washer motor and level sensor back up.
    By searching here, found that fuse 41 on dash behind door panel is associated with rear wiper motor. Fuse good, but duh since rear worked. Fuse #19 under hood (30A) also good, which apparently is for the main wiper motors. Just FYI, the washer motor is the same for both front and back. Polarity is reversed to have it run one way for front windshield, and the other way for rear. I tested the motor and it's fine- works for both.
    It almost seems like the only possibility is a malfunctioning wiper control post on the steering column, even though the car is almost new, and it was working prior to replacing the reservoir. That's what I mean by hating these kind of problems. My brain won't allow me to believe the wiper control post went South just sitting there a few hours.
    First time posting here, sorry it's so long. Anybody have a suggestion for testing? Thanks.

2. alaskax

alaskax New Member

Car:
    Mods:
    Rocketchip tune in Golf
    OK, I got my answer from a (ahem) different website forum, someone who had the SAME issue. It's a switch in the hood. WHAT?? I went out, closed the hood, and everything works. I never heard of such a thing before. Seems like maybe VW over-engineers things a bit? Anyways, thanks for anyone who as about to set me straight on this!

3. Keithuk

Keithuk Super Moderator

Car:
    2010 Golf GTD (170) CBBB
    I was going to say check the Bonnet/Hood Contact Switch (F120) as the front wiper doesn't work with Bonnet/Hood up.

4. alaskax

alaskax New Member

Car:
    Mods:
    Rocketchip tune in Golf