2013 Passat TDI Problems need help

Discussion in '2012-2015 VW Passat TDI forum' started by donavonknight, Dec 6, 2012.

1. donavonknight

donavonknight New Member

Car:
    2013 VW Passat TDI SEL
    I have a 2013 Passat TDI SEL

First problem
    The car shifts funny kills the engine, several lights come on and then the engine cuts back on.

Anyone have this issue, know what causes it or what needs to be fixed.

Second problem
    The car downshifts like I am in Sport mode when I let off the throttle going down hill. This is annoying to me and my passengers not to mention the fuel it is taking to do so.
    Anyone experiencing the same, know the problem or what needs to be fixed?

Third problem
    The radio takes forever to startup. I can be backed out of my tight garage moving slowly and pulling out before the backup camera comes on. I have the same problem with the phone stored quick dial numbers show as vacant sometimes for several minutes. The radio has 13 presets stored but when I get to 7 the display still shows the first 6?

Any help would be appreciated before I take it in for service so I know what is going on.

Thanks
    login to remove this ad
  2. chittychittybangbang

chittychittybangbang Administrator

Car:
    2006 Jetta TDI
    1. Never heard of this but MAJOR fault. Immediately take to dealer and have them fix it.

2. If you're going down a hill and let off the throttle it's using no fuel. It downshifts to engine brake.
  3. no-blue-screen

no-blue-screen Member

Car:
    12 VW Passat SE 6spd
    What he said ^

No fuel is being used when you are not on the go pedal. You have a DSG which is a computer controlled manual gearbox. Your momentum keeps the motor turning and as you slow down the DSG will shift to lower gear to both aid in slowing the vehicle and to prepare should you need to push the go pedal again.

Its actually very useful in heavy traffic situations..coast as much as possible and you will get better fuel economy. Using the brakes is what wastes fuel..so you use the engine braking to naturally slow the car without converting that fuel/energy back into heat by using your brakes.

Hope this makes sense.
  4. lwt42

lwt42 Well-Known Member

Car:
    2013 Passat TDI SEL
    I actually had a chance to test this. Long down hill road, no cars, 20 mph or so.

In gear, --- mpg.

In neutral -- 120 mpg.
  5. ssorange

ssorange New Member

Car:
    Bronco/1977
    This bugs me too on my 2013. I wish it didn't do it. Mine will shift down twice and allow the revs to reach 3000 rpm. What about yours? I think VW thinks this is a safety feature. If it is for braking, my feeling is brake repairs are cheaper than engine/drivetrain repairs.
  6. BPofMD

BPofMD Member

Car:
    2012 Passat SE TDI
    Have you tried shifting over to manual mode - then UPSHIFT.
  7. lwt42

lwt42 Well-Known Member

Car:
    2013 Passat TDI SEL
    I think it'd bother me more if I took my foot off the pedal and the car didn't slow down.