2013 Audi A3 TDI specs and official pictures

Discussion in 'Mk7 VW Golf TDI and 2015+ Audi A3 TDI forums' started by chittychittybangbang, Mar 2, 2012.

1. chittychittybangbang

chittychittybangbang Administrator

Car:
    2006 Jetta TDI
    The official reveal of the 2013 Audi A3 will be early next week at the Geneva but I found some leaked pictures of the hatchback and I like it! The US will definitely see the sedan and possibly only the sedan version. This is also the first VW product to be built on the new MBQ chassis which will underlie the mk7 Golf. The TDI engine will return but mpg and other specs aren't yet known. I'll update this thread as more info comes out and is confirmed.

The overall size is similar to the B5 Audi A4, the car that let Audi succeed today so I think they have a winner. The current A4 has gotten much larger and really expensive. The interior was revealed at the consumer electronics show so there are some things which have been confirmed.

Some new features: the MMI controller finally makes it to the A3. This was previously only on A4 and above. I've owned the RNS 315, RNS 510, and the RCD 510 and have to say that the MMI interface is better. The screen is higher which means head down time is slightly less and more in line with what you should really be paying attention to, the road ahead. The touchscreen on the VW units is also harder to use than the feedback from a controller because you have to look at the screen to use it. MMI usually controls the climate and convenience features. Audi does put some redundant knobs for the climate on the console. One nice feature is that the top of the controller is a touchpad which lets you input letters and numbers.

The next generation of VW interfaces will use capacitive touchscreens (like an iphone) but it looks like Audi is sticking with MMI. VW's press release says "Moreover, customers will have the ability to procure and install navigation card updates free-of-charge." I find this hard to believe since they're charging $200 a pop now for an update. Maybe it'll be a $1000 lifetime subscription or something like that.

One really cool feature is the phone box in the center console - it's no longer just a space for the docking cable. The base will have a booster signal to the car's external antenna for better reception.

Some features that differentiate it from VW will be the availability of HID headlights (who knows if they'll be on the next Golf) and color MFD screen. I'm glad to see a full sized MFD screen vs. the small screen on the current A3. It also has those exhaust duct shaped vents. While this is a matter of taste, it's a bit out of place for me and is the one poorly designed area on the interior.

A little more about the MBQ chassis - this will under ride the next A3, Jetta, Golf, Touran, Tiguan, Passat, and CC. This allows VW to build any of these models on the same assembly line and reduce parts specific to one chassis. The A3 will get it first, followed by the mk7 Golf. The base chassis is about 40 lbs lighter and the mk7 Golf is supposed to be about the same weight as the mk4 Golf. VW says that all MBQ chassis cars will be at least 88 lbs (40 kg) lighter than their previous versions.

I'll save you looking up the specs, the mk4 Golf was about 2800 lbs and the mk6 Golf is 3000 lbs (2,994 lbs for both the 2 and 4 door which is obviously a mistake on VW's website). So as a guess the mk7 Golf will weigh about 2850-2900 lbs.

MBQ also adds a few nice features: one is multicollision brake - after getting hit the car will automatically apply the brakes to reduce secondary collisions. It's limited to .6G of braking so you should still have some control even if it's activated. If the accelerator pedal is pressed or brake pedal is pressed harder than for a .6G brake then it's deactivated. Then it turns off at 6 mph so the car can still glide a little off the road. (I'd think you want to stop completely)

There'll be a few features which I suspect will be Euro only or only on the A3 like adaptive cruise control, lane assist, and fatigue detection. These are typically part of the prestige trim level or optional in addition to that. There's also supposed to be VAQ on some models. This is a real torque vectoring electronic differential lock with hydraulically operated multi-plate couplers instead of the current GTI's "fake-LSD" XDS system which just uses the brakes to slow the inside wheel.

VW says that the new EA288 engine series which replaces the current EA189 engine series will have "performance gains of up to 12 per cent; in certain drivetrain configurations the improvement is as much as 26 per cent". This doesn't mean that the CJAA engine in US spec TDI will be 12% better, just that some engines in this family will have up to 12% more performance and one with 26%.

Total emissions were reduced by up to 45% in the Euro-6 emissions version. Some highlights: internal friction improvements, less parasitic losses (two stage oil pump), and separate coolant loops for the head and crankcase. This allows faster warm up and I suspect is one major source of the reduced emissions (most emissions are during cold operation before the emissions system warms up and the engine tightens up).

One weird thing - VW said this in their release: "Having a positive effect on acoustic comfort are the toothed belt drive of the oil and vacuum pumps operating in the oil sump and the encapsulated injection nozzles".

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

These are definitely the S-line seats with custom interior color. The 18" wheels are also an S-line option.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The pop up display and duct vents are too much. I'd prefer just the pop up display and flush vents. The chrome rings don't help. I do appreciate the trend away from the huge side pods that are currently used on many cars for their displays. They eat up a ton of space and are quite hideous. On a side note, you can forget replacing the radio.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    login to remove this ad
  2. chittychittybangbang

Car:
    2006 Jetta TDI
    Some pics from the 2011 CES

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The phone box

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  3. chittychittybangbang

Car:
    2006 Jetta TDI
    According to the Car and Driver blog, HP in the 2.0L will jump from 140 to 190 and torque will jump from 238 to 280. "Also, as with the EA211 gas engines, a belt that never requires replacement drives the camshafts." (no such thing as a belt that never requires replacement). It also suggests that the 2.0L engine will need urea to comply with Euro 6 emissions. (THIS IS WRONG)

IMHO, I'd much rather have a 36% increase in fuel economy vs. a 36% increase in HP that you'll never use. The mk4 Jetta drove fine with 90 hp and the weight of the VW mk7 chassis is supposed to be about the same weight as the mk4 chassis, and that car only had 155 lb-ft of torque!

As a reality check, I read the same press reports that car and driver has access to and while VW's report does say that HP in the 2.0L engine will be at 190hp/280lb-ft, it doesn't say that this is the US spec engine, only that it's the 2.0L engine. Car and driver is assuming that there's only one 2.0L engine because they say this "We’ll only get the 2.0-liter here in the U.S., so we’ll concentrate on that." Sorry to nitpick but if you're going to publish something through a major car magazine people expect it to be reliable and will quote you elsewhere as an authority. If it's anything like the current engine line up, the most powerful engine might be Euro only like the Golf GTD's 170hp unit. A 170 to 190 hp jump seems much more believable and is a 12% jump which is more consistent with VW's statements. I don't know where the US spec engine will sit and it may well have 190 hp but since VW says that "in certain drivetrain configurations the improvement is as much as 26 per cent." Since the car and driver figure is an increase of 36%, I conclude that the blog's assumption of the US engine specs are wrong. The graphic does show 105 and 110 kw which is about 140 and 148 hp so I'd expect the new engine lineup's equivalent engine to have about 150 hp.

EDIT: The Euro spec 2.0L A3 TDI engine will have 150 hp and 238 lb-ft torque. Confirmed in next post with official info.

As a reality check check, it's possible the US could see the 190 hp engine. However, I believe that the current 140 hp engine will not jump to 190 hp. If it's the 190 hp engine it'll probably be an upgraded GTD 170 hp engine. This engine is a possibility for the US because the next Audi A4 is supposed to get a TDI option and the 190 hp engine would be a very good fit for it.

Also, car and driver suggests that VW diesels currently don't use urea, (the Passat's 2.0L engine and the 3.0L TDi engine use urea) but will add this in order to meet Euro 6 emissions. The press release says that up to Golf class cars will not use urea. In other words, I don't see the Golf, Sportwagen, Jetta needing urea soon.

I have attached VW's words below so you can read the press release for yourself.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 5, 2012
  4. chittychittybangbang

Car:
    2006 Jetta TDI
    The official reveal is soon so here's the specs of the Euro model (don't know North American specs but much of it will carry over). This is a world exclusive to my site, it's not even on Autoblog yet!

The 3 door trim car loses 176 lbs! I suspect this number is with the base 1.4L engine.

Trim lines will be called Attraction (modern, which I think means base), Ambition (luxury), and Ambiente (sporty, comes which "sport seats" but maybe not the S-line seats) in Europe.

optional Xenon HID with LED running lights. LED taillights standard. Full LED headlights will be an option later, the first in any compact car.

Front fender and hood are aluminum which saved 20 lbs.

The MMI monitor is only 11mm (.43" thick) and retracts when not in use. Screen will be 5.8" or 7" diagonal depending if you get the mmi or nav basic (SD card based nav and smaller screen) or nav plus (60GB HDD based and bigger high res screen). If you get the lower-mid mmi option you can buy the nav basic function at any time. The base option is no mmi. (this may be Euro only)

Electric parking brake (I actually hate this since it adds unsprung weight to the rear wheel and requires VCDS to service the rear brakes).

Audi side assist, Audi active lane assist, traffic sign detection, park assist and the Audi pre sense basic safety system are optional (probably Euro only)

Top radio will be a 705W Bang and Olufsen w/12 channels and 14 loudspeakers with 5.1 Sound.

Bluetooth will have WLAN hotspot that supports up to 8 devices. This supports functions like internet radio, google street view, google earth, Audi traffic info. These features are packaged with the Audi connect subscription. One weird feature is that Audi traffic info (Euro only so far) uses other connected Audi to analyze traffic flow. This info is anonymized and sent to a central location where it's sent back out to you.

Euro 2.0l TDI engine will have 150 hp (110kW) and 236 lb-ft (320 Nm). I predict this will be the US spec engine for all new TDI starting with the A3 then the mk7 Golf. They also have a 1.6L engine in Europe.

0-62 mph will be 8.6 seconds, 134 mph top speed.

Fuel economy on the 3 door Euro 2.0L TDI will be 4.1L/100km which is 57.37 mpg. This is on the Euro cycle and the US won't be getting the 3 door so US mpg will be similar to what we have now.

Car will be FWD initially, AWD will come later (don't know US plans)

Highline Ambition trim line will include Audi drive select. This lets you tweak steering, transmission, and accelerator pedal characteristics and includes adaptive shock absorbers.

Electronic LSD is standard. It doesn't say if it's the real VAQ LSD system (explained in 1st post) or the fake stability control based system so the real LSD might be optional.

The Cd of the 3 door is .31. This is average. Don't know the sedan's Cd. By comparison, the B5 Passat was .26, the Prius is .24, and the mk4 Golf is .31.

Knee airbag for the driver (so far this has been Euro only)

Front suspension will be mcpherson, rear will be multilink.

Sport suspension option lowers the car .59", S-line options lowers .98". If you get the electromagnetic adjustable shock absorbers the car is lowered .59".
  5. Bovis

Bovis New Member

Car:
    Jetta IV
    Mods:
    planning to buy a golf TDI
  6. Bovis

Bovis New Member

Car:
    Jetta IV
    Mods:
    planning to buy a golf TDI
  7. Calidris96

Calidris96 New Member

Car:
    2003 Jetta GLS TDI Wagon
    Mods:
    Sigma-5 shifter, Panzer FMJ, Koni FSDs, towing spr
    Don't get me wrong, I love my little 90hp machine, but 190hp right out-of-the-box. Oooo... It'd take 3 or 4 grand to get there from here. But ya gotta dance with the one who brung ya to the ball.
  8. JaredC01

JaredC01 New Member

Car:
    2011 Jetta TDI 6MT
    I was looking for a relatively inexpensive TDI when I bought my 2011, but this is very quickly changing my mind... A3 TDI Sedan? Yes please!
  9. kamnster

kamnster New Member

Car:
    audi
    Nice post and Technical Specifications & Comparison ... (ACT) – and the modular diesel engine system (MDB) with the also new EA288 engine series.
  10. chittychittybangbang

Car:
    2006 Jetta TDI
    One more thing about the new EA288 series engine...it no longer uses pizeo injectors. Like the new Passat, it switches to solenoid injectors. Could this be related to reliability? At this point I'm convinced they're moving away from the piezo injectors.

Here's a pic of the engine off an Audi. The air intake hose is also strange because it wraps around the engine. Normally it would go to an intercooler hose so I don't know where it's going.

Attached Files:

11. dieselgeek

dieselgeek Site Sponsor

Car:
    2014 Golf TDI Highline
    Looks like no more topside oil changes for TDI with MK7 engines. Also I wonder if the air to water intercooler is out back now.
  12. van b

van b New Member

Car:
    VW passat TDI
    A3 tdi 2013.

Audi is full of belony, I try to order a 2013 A3 TDI, and they ( dealer ) told me can not order the 2013 model, there is a white one in Halifax, and that's it for 2013, why they do not change their Audi web side is beyond me! " How to build your A3 TDI " Any comments ??
    Also I have a Passat TDI 2005, 84000 KM, first owner, show room condition, spare never used, all mntc records ! They offered me $ 10,500.= trade in what rip off. Any ideas what my car is worth ??
    Thanks a million . van B.
  13. Rostislav

Rostislav New Member

Car:
    Lexus
    Old a3 shape body

New car- new technology
    A3 2013 present on NA market old technology body , etc.
    Why you try to order 5 years old tech body shape ???
    From top to bottom, from lite to door handle they use 5 years design, top price for this body not more than 25k
    25 years ago I use German cars , Audi 80 td, Audi 100cc, BMW, MB then I star use Japanise Acura, Toyota, now Lexus
    This year time to change my car, and I decide switch to disel :) visited vw cheap inside, no technologies :) I jump to MB , no smal cars with disel:) then I visited Audi , they have A3 tdi , but 5!!!!!! Years old design ????? And 41k ????
    Look like joke
    Door handlers old stile , no body use for a year this stile,
    Audi and vw overpriced cars
    For my money I want new technology car :)