2012 Jetta Rear Wheel Bearing Replacement Question

Discussion in 'VW Mk6 Golf, Jetta, Beetle, Sportwagen TDI forum' started by zachery kee, Nov 10, 2016.

1. zachery kee

zachery kee New Member

Car:
    2012 Jetta TDI
    Mods:
    N/A
    Good morning,

I just had a wheel bearing that went out in the rear and VW wants $285 for just the one wheel bearing/hub assembly. I have done a fair amount of work on my car, so I am mechanically inclined enough to do it myself. When I looked up the part from a third party online, I have four different options and I am not sure which is needed. I have searched the forums and used google extensively and have not been able to satisfy this question. While I am looking for which one I need for my sedan, I am also asking why there are different ones that would fit my model? When sitting in the back seat, it sounds like my Jetta is powered by a turbine around 50-60ish MPH. It never stops and it only gets louder with increased speed.

My options are:

1. Hub assembly Sedan - With standard rear suspension ( 30mm bearing).

2. Hub assembly Sedan - With 4 link rear suspension (32mm bearing).

3. Hub assembly - Station Wagon (I can likely assume I do not need this one!)

4. Hub assembly - With independent suspension

5. Hub assembly - With torsion beam suspension.

Thanks!
    Zak

Last edited: Nov 10, 2016
    login to remove this ad
  2. DubFamily

DubFamily Active Member

Car:
    2014 BMW 328D xDrive
    Mods:
    '12 Golf TDI sold to VW 2/8/17
    You are getting different options because wherever you looked does not understand which models have which suspension and axle geometry. You need this one here: https://www.ecstuning.com/Volkswagen-Jetta_VI-Sedan-TDI/Drivetrain/Wheel_Bearings/Rear/ES2802836/

Or any of these https://www.ecstuning.com/Volkswagen-Jetta_VI-Sedan-TDI/Drivetrain/Wheel_Bearings/Rear/ if you want to "upgrade" in quality. Personally I think you are perfectly safe with the Rein bearing. ;)

On a side note; I still have a wheel hub at home from when I did my old GTI. Not positive if it is front or rear, but I can check if you want.

3. zachery kee

zachery kee New Member

Car:
    2012 Jetta TDI
    Mods:
    N/A
    DubFamily, that would be awesome. Is it worth doing a kit and doing both backs at once, as like a preventative maintenance? Or is it something that will not typically fail and wait until indications that it is to change it. I have three days off in a row this weekend and was wanting to change it at that point, are there any national chains that I could trust to get this part at?

AND... Thank you so much for replying so quickly!

4. DubFamily

DubFamily Active Member

Car:
    2014 BMW 328D xDrive
    Mods:
    '12 Golf TDI sold to VW 2/8/17
    NAPA should have hub assemblies for these cars, not certain on any other chains but they might. Doing a kit depends on the mileage on your car; VW bearings are notorious for going out at ~100-150k miles give or take. If you are close to that, do the kit. If you are well below that then just doing the bad one is probably fine.

As long as you can get the axle bolt broken loose, it is a really easy job to do. That bolt can be a killer though :D

I'll check the part number on the one I still have tonight and let you know.

5. zachery kee

zachery kee New Member

Car:
    2012 Jetta TDI
    Mods:
    N/A
    Let me start off by saying... You are awesome! Thank you for the quick replies and information!

I have 130K miles on the ole girl and she has been good to me for sure, so I might as well knock out both of them... I have access to a repair shop that has all the tools and all to help.

If I were to go to NAPA and pickup a kit, or even one assembly, which one do I need? The information in the first post was taken off of AutoZones website... annnnnd I rather not ask the kid behind the counter which one I need, as they argue about which filter I need for oil changes... every.single.time. I assume I have standard rear suspension, but don't want that assumption to waste money. Has anyone has any trouble with the Duralast brand on wheel bearings, or are they garbage all together? I don't put unneeded stress on my car, just daily driver.

You have been a GREAT help, thank you!

zak

6. Conrad -JSW

Conrad -JSW Member

Car:
    2012 JSW TDI DSG Sunroof/Nav Silver/black
    When I replaced the rear wheel bearing on my '12 JSW it wasn't getting the axel bolt broken loose that was the issue. It was torqueing it back on that was the hard part.

Zak,

If you'll look at post #2 above you'll see what part you need. Order it from ECS and eliminate the guesswork.

Here's the tread I started when I had issues with my wheel bearing and replaced it.

http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=451157

7. YukonLT

YukonLT Member

Car:
    2010 Golf TDI 6MT
    Mods:
    CR170 Turbo, Buzzken Exhaust, FixMyVW Race Pipe, Malone Stage 3.5+, CP3 HPFP, 2Micron Prefilter
    You want the 30mm bearing. The 32mm is for the Jetta Sportwagen. If you have the funds, replace both rears because once one goes, the other one isn't going to be far behind it. It's a pretty easy job, the hardest part is getting the brake caliper carrier off because the bolts are a bit of a pain to get to. Make sure you get a good triple square for them.