2011 Golf Tie-Downs

Discussion in 'VW Mk6 Golf, Jetta, Beetle, Sportwagen TDI forum' started by crysto4, Aug 20, 2012.

1. crysto4

crysto4 New Member

Car:
    2011 Golf TDI
    Recently a Golf passed me with a few modifications.
    The one I'm interested in is the seemingly matched to color screw-on eyelet towing connectors I saw that appeared to be left on the car in a permanent style mode. They seemed to cover the remainder of the square plastic pop out that is in the bumper cover. I'd like to use this type of item so when carrying my canoe that a nice tie-down existed at each end of the cat without the removal of bumber covers to the hitch connection area.

Thanks for any ideas on this!
    login to remove this ad
  2. xeno555

xeno555 Member

Car:
    2012 TDI Tech Package 6mt
    Mods:
    Malone Stage II. Rawtek 3" from Turbo to Tail. Slammed on Koni. TSW Nurmburg Rims. Whiteline Sway & Ends. Panzer Plate.
  3. Keithuk

Keithuk Super Moderator

Car:
    2010 Golf GTD (170) CBBB
    You don't need the tow hook permanently connected so why do you want to colour match it?

Unless you do alot of canoeing.
  4. crysto4

crysto4 New Member

Car:
    2011 Golf TDI
    Tow-Hook

Correct... I do bring the canoe out a lot.

I saw a VW with a few mods that included this colored one on the back as he went past. He had the dark badge as well but the hook was noticed and less conspicuous than the stock one that came with my black Golf. I figure I could leave them on for the portion of the year I'm out -

I didn't search tow-hook now but if you discover where I might find one I'd appreciate a response.

Thanks -
  5. Keithuk

Keithuk Super Moderator

Car:
    2010 Golf GTD (170) CBBB
    Well if your Golf is black just paint them black, I assume you've bought another one?
  6. ksing44

ksing44 Member

They have them at ECS. They certainly look good enough to leave on the car. Some might think you're trying to look like a race car driver, but who cares if you need them to tie your canoe.

ECS Tuning Volkswagen Tow Hooks

I saw a post from a guy saying he bent his ECS tow hook and that the stock part is more sturdy, but he was towing the car not just tying a canoe.

Photo from ECS
    [​IMG]
  7. DAVE PARKER

DAVE PARKER New Member

Car:
    2010 Jetta TDI Sportwagen
    Nice picture. You forgot the verbiage to go with it. I highlighted in bold the important part.

Tow Hook Kit - Black Ring

Race inspired styling

Stylish race-inspired looks when you're parked at a show or on the go.

Threads easily into any stock tow hook location with the same thread pitch, pattern, and size as your original piece.

For cosmetic use only.

You would think that for $48.95 you could actually get something useful. But as a young man whom worked for me for several years would say "The product does not have to actually work. You just have to be able to sell it".

cheers
    dave parker
  8. xeno555

xeno555 Member

Car:
    2012 TDI Tech Package 6mt
    Mods:
    Malone Stage II. Rawtek 3" from Turbo to Tail. Slammed on Koni. TSW Nurmburg Rims. Whiteline Sway & Ends. Panzer Plate.
    Just like a carbineer keychain...
  9. crysto4

crysto4 New Member

Car:
    2011 Golf TDI
    Tow Hook Ideas

Hey, thanx for the info. I have seen the hook style from ECS and there's a bunch like those on EBAY too.

My latest thought about them is that they probably are better than a straight one in that it makes them shorter for one and the second is the way they're machined/detachable and that's what is appealing to me right now. Less chance of broken knee caps while washing the car.

Secondly is that I think I'd attempt to get a couple "other" covers to drill-out and put back on leaving only a small gap around the post itself. Put the stock ones in the box with other stock items.

Thanks again... I'll see how long this takes and attempt a picture when I'm done.