2010 tdi first engine change

Discussion in 'Mk5 VW Jetta, Sportwagen, and Audi A3 TDI forum' started by Weggman, Apr 9, 2012.

1. Weggman

Weggman New Member

Car:
    Four 99-2006 F-250's, 22 vw aircooled(growing up), 25 TDI's from 97 to 2012. Currently 2006 (Custom painted shebly blue)TDI jetta, 2010 jetta GLI/TDI treatment, 2003 Excursion 7.3(of course) and 6 mach1 mustangs
    Formally Moore OK, stationed at Tinker AFB, born CA, Now in Amarillo.
    Mods:
    Muffectomy, rocket chip, Koni Street, panzer plate, ultra light alloy wheels 16", gutted cat, Franks chrome cam and that's all I need. Too fast and gets 50mpg.
    Hi all
    I just had the pleasure of pulling a 2010 jetta engine out and replacing the engine. It was fairly un eventful and I didn't have much problem until I started the replacement motor. Ok the jetta I bought had a bad #3 cylinder failure and rod knock. I found a good low mileage motor from a salvage car with only 33k. The car has 64k. I put everything back together when I noticed the inner cooler had brown and green goo from the old motor. I replaced it and re looked at all the tubes and air lines. I had to replace the throttle control valve, not sure what it's official name is, cause the replacement motor's was broken at the plug. This happens when motors are shipped. Anyway get it all back together and cleared old codes. Started right up, topped off coolant and went for a drive. The check engine light came right on and the glow plug light kept flashing. I have reset to several times and sometimes it will do it when I turn off the key but then it's back. I've looked every hose, wire, bundle, plug and removed ALL the boost hoses, codes are all the same but I'm too tired to post them. I wonder if I need to do a calibration of the throttle valve ? Anyone? I did check the posts for this problem but I don' t believe the turbo is bad. I am going to check the actuator with a vac pump in the morning. Just wanted to vent thanks you all.
    login to remove this ad
  2. chittychittybangbang

chittychittybangbang Administrator

Car:
    2006 Jetta TDI
    Not sure but I do know there's a few emissions related readiness codes that have to set by driving the car. I don't think anything that will set the CEL/MIL. The flashing GP light is usually a "stop driving" code.

What codes are you getting? That should narrow it down pretty quickly. Prob not a bad actuator.
  3. Ol'Rattler

Ol'Rattler Active Member

Car:
    06 TDI Jetta
    Double check all your big grounds and positive connections. When I changed the clutch on my A5, I forgot to tighten the main ground under the battery (might have been a positive connection, cant remember) and a few month later I started getting random no starts and glow plug lights.

Actual fault codes would be a big help................

Is it a DSG or manual? On a manual, if the battery is disconnected, AFAIK most adaptions happen automatically over a few drive cycles. My A5 was that way.

Almost forgot. This won't make a lot of sense but, on the A5's the brake light switch has 2 contacts in it. One for the brake lights and one for the ECU.

If the ECU side of the switch fails closed, the glow plug light will flash and the cruise control won't engage because the ECU thinks the brakes are always applied. Also, if the ECU thinks the brakes are applied, it limits RPM's to something like 2500 RPM's which could be mistaken for limp mode.

Not sure if the 2010's work the same, but I would guess they might.
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 10, 2012
  4. Weggman

Weggman New Member

Car:
    Four 99-2006 F-250's, 22 vw aircooled(growing up), 25 TDI's from 97 to 2012. Currently 2006 (Custom painted shebly blue)TDI jetta, 2010 jetta GLI/TDI treatment, 2003 Excursion 7.3(of course) and 6 mach1 mustangs
    Mods:
    Muffectomy, rocket chip, Koni Street, panzer plate, ultra light alloy wheels 16", gutted cat, Franks chrome cam and that's all I need. Too fast and gets 50mpg.
    Ok there are three codes.
    1. altitude sensor/boost pressure sensor
    p1592 implausible correlation
    2. Manifold pressure/boost sensor (G31)
    p0238 Signal too high
    3. EGR system P0401 Insufficient flow - intermittent

Funny thing is I traced my steps and I another G31 if it's the sensor on the intake tube impossibly located behind the A/C compressor lines but something tells me I have a connector swapped. Gonna swap it this afternoon and see. Would all of this come from the throttle control valve swap. Do I need to reset factory defaults?
    Also when the car is up to temp. I can shut it off and when I start it again the glow light doesn't flash until I give it some boost around 2600 rpm then it's back to the same thing.
    I'm sure it's something stupid and I'm just not seeing it.
  5. Keithuk

Keithuk Super Moderator

Car:
    2010 Golf GTD (170) CBBB
    VAG Error Code: 18000
    EOBD II Error Code: P1592

Fault Location:
    Altitude Sensor / Boost Pressure Sensor - Implausible Correlation

Possible Cause:
    Malfunction Indicator Light (MIL) active.
    Limp Mode active.

Wiring from/to Boost Pressure Sensor (G31) faulty.
    Earth Spots corroded.
    Boost Pressure Sensor (G31) faulty.

Possible Solutions:
    Check Wiring from/to Boost Pressure Sensor (G31).
    Check Earth Spots for Corrosion.
    Check Boost Pressure Sensor (G31).

Special Notes:
    When found in 2.0l TDI-PPD (BMN), check TSB/TPL's first.
    Possible Causes: Software Issue, High Resistance in Engine Wiring Harness, Earth Spots corroded.
    Possible Solutions: Check/Update Engine Control Module Software, Check Wiring from/to Boost Pressure Sensor (G31),
    Check Earth Spots for Corrosion.

VAG Error Code: 16622
    EOBD II Error Code: P0238

Fault Location:
    Manifold Pressure / Boost Sensor (G31) - Signal too High

Possible Cause:
    Malfunction Indicator Lamp (MIL) active.

Wiring/Connector(s) from/to Manifold Pressure / Boost Sensor (G31) faulty.
    Manifold Pressure / Boost Sensor (G31) faulty.

Possible Solutions:
    Check Wiring/Connector(s) from/to Manifold Pressure / Boost Sensor (G31).
    Check Manifold Pressure / Boost Sensor (G31).

VAG Error Code: 16785
    EOBD II Error Code: P0401

Fault Location:
    Exhaust gas recirculation (EGR) system - Insufficient flow detected

Possible Cause:
    Malfunction Indicator Light (MIL) ON.
    Reduced Exhaust Gas Recirculation (EGR).
    Reduced Power Output/Engine running rough.
    Increased Emissions.

Hose leak/blockage.
    Basic setting not carried out.
    Exhaust Gas Recirculation (EGR) Flow restricted/clogged.
    Exhaust Gas Recirculation (EGR) Valve stuck closed/leaking/faulty.
    Wiring and/or Connector(s) from/to Exhaust Gas Recirculation (EGR) Valve faulty.
    Exhaust Gas Recirculation (EGR) System faulty.

Possible Solutions:
    Check/Clean Exhaust Gas Recirculation (EGR) System.
    Check/Replace Exhaust Gas Recirculation (EGR) Valve.
    Check Wiring and/or Connector(s) from/to Exhaust Gas Recirculation (EGR) Valve.

As taken from my http://www.myturbodiesel.com/forum/f9/free-eobd-ii-error-codes-software-2919/
  6. Weggman

Weggman New Member

Car:
    Mods:
    Great now the F)(*ing diesel particulate filter light is on solid. Great yea!!!