1. Welcome to myturbodiesel.com, if this is your first visit, please read 1000 answered questions - TDI FAQ, DIY, and Wiki by clicking the link here or in the navigation bar above. Click the "Sign up Now" button to the right to create an account, registration is fast and free.
  2. After you create a free account, every subforum has reply boxes. Here is a thread showing how to create an account or post a new question, shown with pictures

2010 Golf TDi Rear engine bay seal loose, EGR hard pipe rubbing air intake

Discussion in 'VW Mk6 Golf, Jetta, Beetle, Sportwagen TDI forum' started by Type_TDI, Mar 14, 2012.

1. Type_TDI

Type_TDI New Member

Car:
    2010 Golf TDi Tech
    I've noticed a couple more small issues as I get to know the 2010 Golf TDi I picked up a few weeks ago.

The first is with regards to the engine bay seal that runs along the back edge between the bay and the hood. I've tried removing this piece and reinstalling a couple of times hoping to re-seat everything but it just keeps coming loose. Usually after few days of driving, I open the hood to find this:

[​IMG]

Is there an updated seal? Or a DIY fix that folks have come up with? I'm planning to start with some glue, but hate to do that since this should just be a simple snap-on, press fit type of part.

The other thing that has me a bit worried, is that the air intake hose seems to be rubbing what I think is a hard pipe associated with the EGR system. It's gone to the point of fraying the insulation mesh that covers the EGR pipe. You can see where I wrapped a test sheet of aluminum foil to see if it's still rubbing, it is, because there was a hole rubbed through the aluminum foil in a couple of days:

Side view:
    [​IMG]

Top View:
    https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-wEAi0E-Pmrk/T2E-Fyw1Z8I/AAAAAAAAFAY/5aKX25nIQyo/s640/IMG_1310.jpg

Anyone seen this issue? I've tried re-orienting things as much as possible, however it all seems to come back to this state where rubbing occurs. Is the white cloth insulation around the EGR pipe critical?

Other than these issues, I'm loving the car so far, especially the fuel economy.
    login to remove this ad
  2. chittychittybangbang

chittychittybangbang Administrator

Car:
    2006 Jetta TDI
    My guess is that the insulation is for....big surprise, insulation. The plastic might get too hot. RE: engine bay seal - try pushing the seal to the sides a little, I think it's too bunched up in center and is pushing out.
  3. Type_TDI

Type_TDI New Member

Car:
    2010 Golf TDi Tech
    Thanks Chitty, I'll give that a try that idea on the rear engine compartment seal.

This weekend when I'm doing the fuel filter, I'll try and take apart the air intake and investigate a bit closer as to why it's rubbing.
  4. Type_TDI

Type_TDI New Member

Car:
    2010 Golf TDi Tech
    I took apart the air intake and put it back together however even checking all of the connections, the curved plastic intake pipe is awfully close to the metal EGR line. Just seems like its too close to me.

Could someone snap a picture or take a measuremnent of the minimum distance between these two items? Somehow there's just something not right about my setup since its clear that the two pieces have rubbed together, fraying the heat shield (the piece I covered in aluminum foil)
  5. chittychittybangbang

Car:
    2006 Jetta TDI
    2 different cars

Attached Files:

6. Type_TDI

Type_TDI New Member

Car:
    2010 Golf TDi Tech
    Chitty thanks for those pics, for sure there's something weird about the u-shaped plastic intake hose on my car. It's just way too close to that cloth covered hard pipe.

As I keep finding strange things the PO did to my car, I have a hunch they modded it with a larger diameter version of this hose from another car (maybe a GTD). The hose in your pics is thinner than mine such that it's a good 2cm away from the pipe mine is rubbing on.

Could someone check the part number on this u-shaped hose? I'll see what's on mine and compare.
  7. chittychittybangbang

Car:
    2006 Jetta TDI
    can't possibly see why someone would do that

03g 131 521 at
  8. Type_TDI

Type_TDI New Member

Car:
    2010 Golf TDi Tech
    chitty,

Thanks much, sure enough the pipe that's on my car is the wrong part number. The pipe thats on my car is for the 2.0L gasoline engines and is part number 1K0129618AN. Searching for that part number it comes up with this site http://www.jimellisvwparts.com/productSearch.aspx?searchTerm=1k0129618an The images there clearly show intake stuff for a gasoline 2.0L engine. Everything is very similar to the diesel, except they change the pipe to be thinner so it doesn't rub the EGR return pipe. I'm guessing during a service, the mechanics accidentally swapped the hoses or something. Like you said, it seems like a strange mod so it's more likely a dealership screw up.

The correct part number is: 1K0129618BK
  9. CWO4MKC

CWO4MKC New Member

Car:
    2011 Touareg Lux TDI
    Type,
    I don't have the EGR issue but sure have a similar situation with the rear hood seal. Mine is actually in the corners where the seal meets the styrofoam filler blocks. I get a buzz/rattle that had me tearing apart my glove box as I was sure that there was something loose behind it. Found the seal lifting in the corners allowing the plastic wiper box facia to flutter at highway speeds. Have to fix it by-weekly. Thinking about getting some window seal to stick the corners down. When you look at the area in question you can see that the missed something in the design....looks poorly thought out. Matt
  10. chittychittybangbang

Car:
    2006 Jetta TDI
    I see, 1K0129618BK is PN for the plastic intake tubing since you said "u-shaped plastic intake hose" :D 03g 131 521 at is the PN for the sheathed EGR pipe. For some reason I kept thinking that was changed since it was rubbing.
  11. CWO4MKC

CWO4MKC New Member

Car:
    2011 Touareg Lux TDI
    You know was just looking at my EGR hose and wonder if the PO or dealers put it on backwards. Mine looks like it could be done......maybe flip the ends?
  12. chittychittybangbang

Car:
    2006 Jetta TDI
    doesn't look like it, here's a pic of that egr hose on a demo engine, shape is different on each end.

Attached Files:

13. Type_TDI

Type_TDI New Member

Car:
    2010 Golf TDi Tech
    Is the EGR pipe really close or rubbing on the plastic air intake?

I ordered the correct part number for my and will snap some pics of both to give everyone a reference. I think it's just a fluke in my case since there doesn't seem to be any other posts on the Internet.

Also, regarding the loose rear weather seal, I took it off, then used a set of pliers to tighten the gap along the entire length (it has a metal strip down the length). Put it back on and it fits much tighter and hasn't moved.
  14. Type_TDI

Type_TDI New Member

Car:
    2010 Golf TDi Tech
    I'd also wondered at some point if e EGR pipe was bent/wrong. This picture pretty much says that's impossible.
  15. CWO4MKC

CWO4MKC New Member

Car:
    2011 Touareg Lux TDI
    Actually its not close at all. I can slide my palm half way down between the intake tube and the pipe.
    Like the find on the seal.....I will have to see if that is what is causing me grief into the am. Matt
  16. Type_TDI

Type_TDI New Member

Car:
    2010 Golf TDi Tech
    Turns out the plastic air intake hose was the wrong part number. The correct compatible part number is 3C0 129 618 D (passat I think) and also 1K0 129 618 BQ will work, the part that was on there is 1K0 129 618 AN (for a 2.0 gas engine probably).

Before:
    [​IMG]

After:
    [​IMG]
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 21, 2012