2009 Jetta TDI Sportswagen Need Advice

Discussion in 'VW Mk4 Jetta, Golf, New Beetle, Passat TDI forum' started by BSE, Jul 9, 2014.

1. BSE

BSE New Member

Car:
    2009 jetta tdi sportswagen
    If I've posted this in the wrong area please forgive me as I'm new to this. My wife's 2009 Jetta TDI Sportswagen (113K) just started making some grinding or scraping noises coming from the engine area when driving, seems more prevalent in lower gears or when letting off the gas as the vehicle slows. Idling along in a higher gear it's not noticeable. Three times over the last three weeks the "engine fault workshop" light has flashed momentarily but then disappears, there are no other warning lights when this happens. In the past day or two there have been a couple of times when I put the car in reverse it doesn't engage and I have to put back in Park and then Reverse before it goes.

There is no loss of power and if you had the music turned up you would never no there was an issue as the car is driving and shifting fine. There has always been a slight delay when starting from a stopped position and if you're not aware of it the car could lurch forward but if you know this you can compensate for it by how you apply pressure to the gas pedal. I took to VW dealership and they said it needs a new transmission and quoted me a price of 5500$ which just seems crazy as the car was driving and shifting fine. I don't feel as they looked into it closely any are just throwing that out there as a grand fix for this issue.

I then started searching the forums and learned of all the problems with these transmissions on certain VW model years. I also found a thread on one forum about how a leaking sunroof caused an issue with someone's transmission as water ran right down into the fuse box or TCM area and caused a communication issue with transmission. I don't have any experience with working on cars but I'm fairly technically inclined so this seems like it might be a possible scenario. My car has a leak in the driver's side sunroof too and water comes in around top of driver's door and puddles in driver side front and rear floor and collects in spare tire compartment too.

I'm just having a hard time believing that the whole transmission needs to be replaced because of how good the car is driving. Does this issue with water sound possible to anyone or not really with the symptoms I've described? Also where on my model year VW is the TCM and ECM located?

2. chittychittybangbang

chittychittybangbang Administrator

Car:
    2006 Jetta TDI
    The engine fault workshop light means there are codes stored in the car's computer. First thing is to go get the car scanned. I think autozone still does free code scans. This will be a big clue what is wrong. It's possible the flywheel is worn or fluid level is low. Has the car had fluid changes every 40k miles? This is the regular maintenance interval. With that mileage, the timing belt will also need to be done soon. Refer to your owner's manual for the maintenance schedule.

Possible it's related to a water leak...I would definitely fix this first. I doubt the trans is bad so soon but it happens. ECM is under the windshield trim under hood, TCM is part of mechatronics, the valve body on the front of the transmission. Since it's sitting in ATF, I doubt a leaking sunroof is the problem there :D

3. BSE

BSE New Member

Car:
    2009 jetta tdi sportswagen
    We've had the timing belt/water pump replaced not long ago and we've had it serviced at the recommended intervals. I found an independent vw mechanic who came highly recommended and after test driving the car he told me what he thought it was. For him to fix he would have to replace the transmission which he could do for thousands less vw dealership using a slightly used transmission with low miles on it. He then said that he called another independent mechanic that he refers people to regularly who only does transmission work to discuss what my car was doing as this other mechanic had been able to fix these transmissions on other Jettas and Beetles with a good deal of success.

This other guy had some ideas as to what might be happening and told to bring over to have a look. If it was what the thought then it would be another thousand dollars cheaper to fix so three thousand less than dealership. If it wasn't as he expected than it would need the transmission and I would only have to pay the labor and he could do that job for the same money as the other vw mechanic. The fact that this first mechanic actually sent me to this other mechanic knowing that he could have easily had my business for a high priced job made me feel like he truly cared about people and not gouging someone just for profit.

So I took to the transmission guy today and after test driving he said he believes the TCM needs to replaced which is much cheaper than everything that had been discussed so far. He told me he would have to open up the something on the transmission (can't recall what) to check for metal shaving or flakes. If there are no metal flakes then he wants to replace the TCM but if metal flakes then I'll need the transmission replaced. He showed me the another VW TCM he had on this bench as well as a VW valve body and explained to me how it worked. I asked how did he come to have all this knowledge and he explained that he was tired of not being able to repair these VW transmissions so he got some training on them at some seminar and then it took him about two years of tearing them down and tinkering with them before he understood how to fix. Keeping my fingers crossed but I'm optimistic, I'll let everyone know what happens.

4. MB67

MB67 New Member

Car:
    Jetta 2006
    I have a 2006 Jetta TDI and just did the camshaft yesterday. It ran fine during the break in and when I changed the oil & started it the "Engine Fault Workshop" came on as well as the flashing glow plug signal. I left it over night and came back this morning to start it and it was gone. Took it on a 25 mile trip and as I was getting back home it came on again briefly. I attached my scan - the only engine related item is the Brake Switch - could that be causing this? I did also replace the brake master cylinder as well. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Attached Files: