2009 Jetta TDI P0401 DTC

Discussion in 'Mk5 VW Jetta, Sportwagen, and Audi A3 TDI forum' started by 56pan, Dec 27, 2012.

1. 56pan

56pan New Member

Car:
    2009 Jetta TDI
    Mods:
    None
    I've got the P0401 code on my Jetta. Will go away usually after a few drive cycles, or after I erase it with the VAG-COM interface I've got. Always comes back. Insufficient EGR flow code. Before I started checking the exh. flapper valve as was here recommended, or the EGR valve, etc., I decided to call the dealer I'd been taking it to. They did the last free service a couple:BS months ago. It's got 38600 m. on it now. First thing out of the mouth of the service lady that took the call was that the EGR valve was not covered when I told her the emissions systems were under a 80,000 m. warranty. Said the service manager would be back on Friday, and I told her I'd call back then and talk to him. According to the documents that came with the owner's manual, she was right. Volkswagen says the EGR sys. is not covered on the 80,000 m. warranty. Since it's emissions, I don't see how they can get around the Feds mandated 80,000 m. warranty? If anyone has some advice as to how I can hold their nasty conniving feet to the fire when I call back Friday, I'd sure like to have it. Thanks in advance.
    login to remove this ad
  2. Keithuk

Keithuk Super Moderator

Car:
    2010 Golf GTD (170) CBBB
    If you can't get it done under warranty then you going to have to fix it yourself.

VAG Error Code: 16785
    EOBD II Error Code: P0401

Fault Location:
    Exhaust Gas Recirculation (EGR) System - Insufficient Flow Detected

Possible Cause:
    Malfunction Indicator Lamp (MIL)(K83) ON.
    Reduced Exhaust Gas Recirculation (EGR).
    Reduced Power Output/Engine running rough.
    Increased Emissions.

Hose leak/blockage.
    Basic setting not carried out.
    Exhaust Gas Recirculation (EGR) Flow restricted/clogged.
    Exhaust Gas Recirculation (EGR) Valve stuck closed/leaking/faulty.
    Wiring and/or Connector(s) from/to Exhaust Gas Recirculation (EGR) Valve faulty.
    Exhaust Gas Recirculation (EGR) System faulty.

Possible Solutions:
    Check/Clean Exhaust Gas Recirculation (EGR) System.
    Check/Replace Exhaust Gas Recirculation (EGR) Valve.
    Check Wiring and/or Connector(s) from/to Exhaust Gas Recirculation (EGR) Valve.

As taken from my http://www.myturbodiesel.com/forum/f9/free-eobd-ii-error-codes-software-2919/
  3. chittychittybangbang

chittychittybangbang Administrator

Car:
    2006 Jetta TDI
    Try another dealer? Anything that causes the car to not run right can affect emissions so sometimes they'll cover it sometimes not.