2006 vw jetta- no communication to the ecm

Discussion in 'VW Mk4 Jetta, Golf, New Beetle, Passat TDI forum' started by fratera01, Oct 22, 2015.

1. fratera01

fratera01 New Member

Car:
    2006 vw jetta tdi
    I was driving my car a week ago on the highway and the engine died. The gears on the display(P,D,N,1,2,3,etc) were all flashing. When ever I turn the key the display will flash and wont allow my engine to turn over. While I was waiting to get it towed about an hour later the screen stopped flashing and I was able to start the engine but it died again about 10 minutes later and the flashing screen resumed. I tried taking it to a close mechanic in the town my car died in and he said when he tried to read the code it read no communication to ECM. I don't know the exact code that was read but I'm guessing it was 01314. He told me he cant do anything and I have to take it to the dealer but I decided to get it towed back to Yankton and try another local mechanic that works on VW. He told me the exact same thing, that he has no idea what's wrong and I have to take it to the dealer. He suggested that it is a bad ECM and it will probably have to be replaced. I got it towed with a strap back to my house in the mean time and while it was being towed I had the key on the on position and the car in neutral. I got the car towed to a dealer ship and they told me that first of all my battery was shot. Some how while being towed with a strap on the highway I fried my battery. It was only towed for 3 miles. Don't know why that happened and the dealer could not offer me any suggestions either. So they charged a 3 hour $300 diagnostic on it to tell me that they needed to replace the battery and that they needed to replace the ECM which will cost $1200 but they don't know for sure if the ECM is the problem and they most likely will have to do some more work once the ECM is replaced. But right now they don't know exactly what that work will entail and they really are not sure what the actual problem is. I figured I really need to start doing some research because I'm feeling very unconfident in the dealership. Does anybody have any ideas on what could be wrong? The only thing I have found that sounds similar to my problem is a faulty relay 109. But that's on older models.

2. Truck240

Truck240 New Member

Car:
    VW, Jetta TDI, 2004
    Your code p01314 is for the ECU and it is appears to be non responsive. First K.I.S.S check simple things like ECU fuses. Physically pull them out and re seat them. Check your relays. Before I spent $1200 for a ECU I would want to be damn sure it wasn't a power issue. If possible maybe someone more familiar can suggest a way to jump power directly to the ECU and test it.

3. Dftdibros

Dftdibros New Member

Car:
    2006 VW Jetta TDI
    I have a very similar problem car was running great and then it started and stalled and won’t start. I did the normal stuff check for fuel and air first then I started hearing a vibrating noise from a relay marked 100 on the panel under the hood I replaced that because I assume ed the glow plugs weren’t firing up because the glow plug light wasn’t laminating when the was turned to the “position” but I’m also noticing P,N,D,3,2,1 were flashing and the light that looks like a steering wheel is changing from orange to red and the then I get u0100 no communication with ecu/pcm I’m assuming it’s a power issue because I hear the ecu doesn’t fail but I’m hoping someone else has solved this problem. Can some help

4. Keithuk

Keithuk Super Moderator

Car:
    2010 Golf GTD (170) CBBB
    This is an old thread.

VAG Error Code: 01314

Fault Location:
    Engine Control Module (ECM) - No Signal/Communication/Implausible Signal

Possible Cause:
    Malfunction Indicator Lamp (MIL)(K83) active.

CAN-Data Bus Wiring/Connector(s) from/to Engine Control Module (ECM) faulty.
    Fault(s) stored in Engine Control Module (ECM).
    Engine Control Module (ECM) recently flashed or re-mapped.

Possible Solutions:
    Check CAN-Data Bus Wiring/Connector(s) from/to Engine Control Module (ECM).
    Read Measuring Value Blocks (MVB).
    Usually Measuring Value Blocks (MVB) 125+ show the current Communication Status.
    Check Data Bus Chapter 90-9.
    Skoda-Fabia 2000-Electrical.pdf

Special Notes:
    When found in a 2005 through 2007 2.5L NAR (North American Region) (1K) Jetta check the T121/62 (Red/Black) traced power wire to the ECM. If power is missing or a voltage drop is present that wire may be damaged anywhere between 6" and 18" from the connector itself. This will result in no communication in addition to a no-start.
    Based on 2.5L Jetta feedback over the years a majority look like this example, however some are damaged further away per this example: with the close-up and distant views.

VAG Error Code: 01314

Fault Location:
    Engine Control Module (ECM) - Check Diagnostic Trouble Code (DTC) Memory

Possible Cause:
    Malfunction Indicator Lamp (MIL)(K83) active.

Fault(s) stored in Engine Control Module (ECM).

Possible Solutions:
    Check Engine Control Module (ECM) for fault codes.

Special Notes:
    Engine Control Module (ECM) stored a Code which influences other Control Modules Functionality.
    To clear this Fault Code you will need to correct the Problem in the Engine Control Module (ECM) first.

As taken from my new Free EOBD II Error Codes software

5. Keithuk

Keithuk Super Moderator

Car:
    2010 Golf GTD (170) CBBB
    VAG Error Code: 049408/131702/10679/21191/22624/22625/22626/22628/22627/22629/22632/22633/22634/25329/25371/4224/4778/4785

EOBD II Error Code: U0100

Fault Location:
    Engine Control Module (ECM) (Society of Automotive Engineers (SAE) Engine Control Module (ECM))/Powertrain Control Module (PCM)) - No Signal/Communication

Possible Cause:
    Wiring/Connector(s).
    Engine Control Module (ECM)).
    Powertrain Control Module (PCM).

Possible Solutions:
    Check/Replace all faulty Wiring/Connector(s).
    Read Measuring Value Blocks (MVB).