2006 MK5 Jetta electrial gremlins

Discussion in 'Mk5 VW Jetta, Sportwagen, and Audi A3 TDI forum' started by Dave Spear, Jan 10, 2018 at 12:12 AM.

1. Dave Spear

Dave Spear New Member

Car:
    2004 Golf TDI Mk4, 2006 Audi A4 3.2
    I have the option to pick up a low-miles (110K km's or ~75K miles) for somewhere around $5,000. The motor is strong, the car looks and runs immaculately, BUT... a previous owner sold it as having issues with the immobilizer. They took it to VW (long out of warranty) who replaced the instrument cluster at great expense. This not only did not fix the problem, but now every single warning light on the dash lights up and stays lit whenever the key is on. So the owner doesn't want to put another nickel into the car, just wants it gone. I don't know if the speedo/tach are functional or not. I'm considering picking the car up because, well, because you just never see low-miles TDI's for sale, much less for that price. I could probably part it out and make some cash, but I'm more interested in picking up a reliable comfortable and safe starter car for my oldest daughter (who takes her driving test on January 29!). Any thoughts on what might be to blame? I figure I can afford to spend a few thousand if I need to to bring it up to snuff, but don't have the expertise with VW's, electronics nor the extra garage/driveway space right now for yet another kind-of-working vehicle.

As usual, any replies greatly appreciated.

2. Keithuk

Keithuk Super Moderator

Car:
    2010 Golf GTD (170) CBBB
    How long is a piece of string? It could be loads of things but without testing with VAG-COM\VCDS before you buy its pop luck.

3. terpsgeorgia

terpsgeorgia Member

Car:
    06 Jetta TDI
    Wait, a VW with electrical gremlins?? Never heard of such a thing (complete sarcasm). Just for a bit of color here, I had an A6 which I drove for a few years, really nice, 2.7L twin turbo with all the options. It had SOOOOOO many electrical gremlins, I just gave up and traded the car in, it was completely infuriating and I swore I would never buy another Audi, so now I have a Jetta :-D In the winter time, my driver door electronics don't work - they work fine in spring, summer and fall, just not winter.

Personally, I stay away from cars I KNOW have electrical problems, as an electrical engineer, such things drive me insane.