2006 jetta tdi / replaced a BRM head with a BEW head and cam, wont fire up..

Discussion in 'Mk5 VW Jetta, Sportwagen, and Audi A3 TDI forum' started by markwd1, Apr 25, 2017.

1. markwd1

markwd1 New Member

Car:
    2006 vw jetta tdi
    I think I figured it out, I will find out for sure tomorrow after work. I recently purchased a 2006 vw jetta tdi from the junk yard. It had a valve drop in the #2 cylinder due to worn cam. The lifters had holes in a few of them w/ a piece of the valve sticking out of the head, and piston tore up. Surprisingly the cylinder wall only had two slight nicks in it so I got a new / used piston and rod, and a new / used head w/ cam and valves. It fit right on my block. there is one difference. the openings on the head for the intake are the split type openings (vertical piece of metal in each opening) my original head doesn't have these and my intake manifold isn't a split opening. I originally posted in the newbee forum and was told that the head was probably a BEW.

After seeing another post here on this forum showing the BEW in a 2006 with a BRM head it was pointed out that the cam position sensor was modified. When I put the new head on I just used my original sensor and never paid attention to the position plate behind the timing belt pulley. but comparing them this evening see that they are different. I couldn't figure out why it wouldn't fire up but the fuel is injected to the cylinders by the position of the cam sensor. Tomorrow I am going to pull the timing gear pulley off the head I have on the car and replace it with my original pulley, with the position sensors where my computer is expecting them to be, and hopefully it will fire up. If anyone knows of anything I missed or if the cam I got won't work let me know. I will post my results tomorrow.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 25, 2017
    login to remove this ad
  2. markwd1

markwd1 New Member

Car:
    2006 vw jetta tdi
    Well I got the pulleys switched out and the belt back on and now it sounds like it wants to start but it still doesn't. I have got to check the timing and get it right on. I figured with the pin in the top cam when I pulled the gear and the pulley / cam timing sensor plate off and replaced with the original one it would fire up. I still get no piston / valve contact that I can tell after cranking by hand. Then I tried to start it. If the timing is off a little would it not start? I would have thought it would just run rough then I could fine tune the timing. I will have to double check the bottom timing gear with the pin in the top to make sure. Any suggestions? This is the first diesel motor I have ever worked on. I'm used to fuel / fire / air. it has to be one of the three with gas. I assume it is just fuel / air / compression with diesel from what I have read. Am i missing anything?