1. Welcome to myturbodiesel.com, if this is your first visit, please read 1000 answered questions - TDI FAQ, DIY, and Wiki by clicking the link here or in the navigation bar above. Click the "Sign up Now" button to the right to create an account, registration is fast and free.
  2. After you create a free account, every subforum has reply boxes. Here is a thread showing how to create an account or post a new question, shown with pictures

2006 Jetta TDi BRM hard start

Discussion in 'Mk5 VW Jetta, Sportwagen, and Audi A3 TDI' started by Jaguirre29, Jun 5, 2013.

1. Jaguirre29

Jaguirre29 New Member

Car:
    2006 Jetta Tdi BRW
    I have this 2006 Jetta TDi BRM that im having trouble starting. The car would start after cracking it for 15-20 secounds and after it starts the car would run fine with no problems unless I shut it off and leave for 5-10 min and ill have a hard time starting it again.. the car has a new cam shaft lifters and cylinder head and I also installed a new tandem pump I really dont know what could be causing this problem but my glow plugs are working and fuel pump is working as well
    login to remove this ad
  2. chittychittybangbang

chittychittybangbang Administrator

Car:
    2006 Jetta TDI
    engine timing belt timing? Any error codes?
  3. Jaguirre29

Jaguirre29 New Member

Car:
    2006 Jetta Tdi BRW
    No theres no engine light on
  4. texas30cal

texas30cal New Member

Car:
    06 jetta tdi
    I just completed the cam/lifters swap and have verified cam timing twice, I am having the same problem, immediately after installing the cam it would start fine, now have to crank 15-20 seconds and hold the pedal to the floor to crank it, once running runs fine. It does seem to be getting worse every time I start it, pulled the fuel filter and there was quite a bit of very fine glitter in it, on top of it and in the fuel in the canister.
  5. chittychittybangbang

Car:
    2006 Jetta TDI
    Is the glitter magnetic?

A few specks is normal in a 06, it's from the fuel, quite a bit sounds abnormal.
  6. texas30cal

texas30cal New Member

Car:
    06 jetta tdi
    Will check to see if it is magnetic.
  7. mrciscoe

mrciscoe New Member

Car:
    2006 Jetta TDI
    Jumping in an old thread, I just changed my cam and lifters, too. Same hard start. I will check the timing this weekend. It started great the first time after the job. Now it takes 3 or 4 tries to get it going. No codes or lights.

Any resolution?
  8. chittychittybangbang

Car:
    2006 Jetta TDI
    Did you
    Did you use the TB article on this site? If it's getting worse fast, either something in the TB is failing and/or getting loose, or the fuel lines are losing prime.
  9. mrciscoe

mrciscoe New Member

Car:
    2006 Jetta TDI
    I did follow the site both times. I only changed the TB a year ago and now had to do the cam. Could be a fuel thing since I changed the filter, too. I'll be sure to check all of this Saturday.
  10. Patryk@DouglasVW

Patryk@DouglasVW New Member

Car:
    2004 Jetta PD 1.9L
    Having the same issue after putting cam and lifters
  11. mrciscoe

mrciscoe New Member

Car:
    2006 Jetta TDI
    RE-checked the timing again...took the belt off and started 'install' again. Car finally starts normally.