2006 jetta tdi brm - black smoke / hesitation in 1st - please help

Discussion in 'Mk5 VW Jetta, Sportwagen, and Audi A3 TDI forum' started by TDIwtf, Feb 25, 2012.

1. TDIwtf

TDIwtf New Member

Car:
    2006 Jetta TDI BRM
    Ok so just as a side note I have been researching this issue for months - there are a lot of posts relating to my issues however the final solution is not there....If anyone could shed some light it would be much appreciated.

My car is having some major issues in 1st gear - Its like its waiting to kick in ... like i have to hold down the pedal and hop it takes off or let off and apply pressure again. When I do this I get a huge could of black smoke......the car does not do this everytime tho......so here is what ive done to fix the issue

1. EGR Motor
    2. Fuel and Air Filters ( NOT K&N just stock )
    2. MAF Sensor
    3. Cam Shaft
    4. Timing Belt
    5. Turbo
    6. Cleaners / Addiives bla bla bla

I just had the turbo done last week and yet again the problem is back ... its so hard to look the mechanic in the face without wanting to smash it in ! These "VW" pros are driving me crazy.

My bank account is drained and Im at my wits end ... the car isnt even paid off yet.....So if anybody has the solution please let me know!!!!!!!!! Thanks wes.tarry@yahoo.ca
    login to remove this ad
  2. chittychittybangbang

chittychittybangbang Administrator

Car:
    2006 Jetta TDI
    To start with, what error codes is it producing? Are you doing all of the work yourself or paying someone else to do it? Because if timing belt is messed up than it'll cause a whole host of probs.

Is the car DSG or manual?
  3. nord

nord New Member

Car:
    Mk5 Jetta '06
    Black smoke is a sure sign of too much fuel or too little air. Given that this was happening before the cam and the other work, at least you've eliminated that much. I guess I'd start by saying that since it's either fuel or air, you have to decide which one to go after first. I'd likely start with air.

You mentioned turbo in your post. New turbo? If not, then what was done? I'd like to see what things look like on the VagCom. My guess is that proper boost is being reported to the ECU but that it's not making the trip to the cylinders... Why?

Since it's so simple a job, I'd check the ASV to make sure the plate is in the horizontal position when the engine is running. This can be done with the intake hose off as long as you're in a clean environment and for a short duration. It'll also enable you to assure yourself that there is boost if you feed a bit of fuel.

On the other side of the coin is fuel. Only if the ECU sees an elevated boost will it dump fuel to the injectors. This is again where the VagCom is necessary. You really need to see what's happening instead of throwing parts at the car.

My first guess is either a bad ASV or a split in the line somewhere between the turbo and the ASV. My second guess is a plugged intake. It could be before or after the filter. You need to eliminate so you'll be there anyway. Check all the plumbing because I have a feeling your problem is somewhere there.
  4. TDIwtf

TDIwtf New Member

Car:
    2006 Jetta TDI BRM
    Hey thanks for the reply.

Its been getting all the work at a VW / Audi shop. They guy only works on those cars.
    There are no error codes and the the "vagcom" stuff is ok I'm told.
    The car is 5spd manual.

:)
  5. TDIwtf

TDIwtf New Member

Car:
    2006 Jetta TDI BRM
    Hey nord

I actually have 2 Jettas one was written off and was hit from the back. I had the mechanic take the turbo of that one. As that car has tons of power. Driving them was like night and day. Also just as a side note after reading some stuff on here I decided to disconnect the maf sensor and drive it around all day without the hesitation. Then tonight I put it back on to clear the engine light and the problem came back immediately. I will mention this other stuff to the mechanic. Any other thoughts are welcome. Thank you
  6. indigo9585

indigo9585 New Member

Car:
    2006 VW Jetta TDI
    Mods:
    2006 VW Jetta TDI
    I'm having the same problem on my 2006 Jetta TDI.

Did you ever find a solution?

I've had the EGR valve replaced and the Mass Air Flow.
    I put in a new air filter and the code cleared out.

After a day the engine light came back on and the hesitation and black smoke are back.
    I checked the new air filter and found soot (not oily) in the air box and the air filter dirty again.

Switched out the Mass air flow again and the problem still continues.

Any suggestions would be helpful!
    Thanks.
  7. hevster1

hevster1 New Member

Car:
    98 New Beetle TDI
    Mods:
    Alligator tune, PP 357 nozzles, SS 2.5 inch exhaus
    One of the main problems I see with these cars is bringing them to a "VW" shop. These mechanics may know gas engines but not TDI's. Don't keep throwing parts at them. Take them to someone in your area who knows them. If you go to the trusted technicians list on the TDI club forums in the TDI 101 section, you will find someone.
  8. fichfarm

fichfarm New Member

Car:
    2006 jetta tdi
    whats an ASV? I am having problems with engine hicups at 2500rpm or so just going down the hiway it will hicup. Manual trans. replaced air, oil and filter, and fuel filter with no change. hicup still there. Also a little hesitant in normal acceleration thru the gears until the turbo kicks in. what do you think?
  9. noairbag

noairbag New Member

Car:
    06 jetta tdi
    Im experiencing exactly what user fichfarm mentioned...what turned out to help your problem be resolved