2006 jetta bellows black smoke ...

Discussion in 'VW Mk4 Jetta, Golf, New Beetle, Passat TDI forum' started by rich762, Aug 18, 2012.

1. rich762

rich762 New Member

Car:
    2006 jetta
    ok newbie here .... been lurking here for the last several weeks and decided to join

my name is Rich and i have a problem that is driving me bonkers...
    first off i am a master auto tech (not diesel !! ) for a living and have a problem child that i turn to the collective for help ... heres my story ...grab a beer and a smoke and read
    its a 2006 jetta tdi .. it was purchased with the bad flywheel and a few other problems ...
    flywheel replaced and then it was driven then the turbo snapped in half .. well new turbo and this is where the problems reared its ugly head since now it can be driven .... it has no power until about 2000-2300 rpm rattles like its coming apart bellows black smoke and the breaks the tires loose and screams like no tomorrow ...

its loading up severe at idle .. now my owner had more money than common sense ... it has a new turbo , maf,o2 sensor,n75 valve,timing belt etc .. nothing had worked .. sent it to one dealer and they said the egr cooler was faulty .. replaced it and they said it was the transmission causing this ?!!? .. needless to say the car was towed back to the shop .. yea tranns causing a rich condition ....

went to the to another dealer and there head tech was asking me a ton of questions and we were kicking ideals off each other .. he said per Volkswagen tech line that the injector bores were worn out causing the fuel to blow by .. and to the time of 6500 smackers.. well my owner had the vehicle towed back and ordered a reman head which i installed and guess what .. yep still there she loads up massively and bellows soot like no tomorrow and once it clears out she off to the races..

no codes i have cleaned the egr , intake ,everything while it was off including the vvt .. like i said my diesel knowledge sucks.. my question the point meter possibly out of adjustment ,shorted ..
    what in gods universe causes this this possessed thing to load up at idle ??

i have tried to tweak the camshaft retarded , advanced no help .. if it was a normally aspirated engine it would be fixed by now .. but i have no ideal .. so i ask the collective ....HELP !!!

is there a way to tweak pump timing ,and or pressure regulator that internal of the injection pump ??
    enlighten me people of the tdi universe ..

thank you for you're time and help

Rich
    login to remove this ad
  2. dougi45

dougi45 Member

Car:
    jetta 2006
    Hey did you get your car figured out? I cant believe no one posted a response..
  3. chittychittybangbang

chittychittybangbang Administrator

Car:
    2006 Jetta TDI
    I try to respond to posts that I see but I don't know all the answers and posters sometimes don't give any info to make a good guess. dougi45, are you having the same problem?

From all of the stuff that the guy had done to the car, I would bet that the new turbo was SEVERELY out of adjustment. The key is that it was OK until the turbo was replaced, then no power, smoke, and then a surge of power where it suddenly screams. The answer is turbo adjustment: http://www.myturbodiesel.com/1000q/a5/turbo-response-adjustment-tdi.htm the vanes were closed, choking the engine, when they opened the engine could finally breathe and burned all that unburnt fuel.
  4. crsmp5

crsmp5 Member

Car:
    85 kubvan
    since head replaced.. ill ask since turbo broke.. were all piston heights the same??

cannot do compresson test on a pd right? lets say 1 hole has less compression then the other 3.. loads up just like a gas car at low rpm but has enough to burn at higher rpm...

ive seen gassers want to foul out all the plugs when 1 hole like that.. somehow the unburnt fuel gets scavanged thru the intake making the others too rich..

your looking for ideas.. yes silly... but had to ask..bad turbo = oil = hydro locked why i ask on bent rod/piston heights..
  5. Mavrick

Mavrick Member

Car:
    1999.5 VW Jetta TDI
    Check compression through the glow plug hole. 10mm x 1 is the thread. You'll need a gauge with a 500psi range. Anything under 325 and you have something worn out. Typically you will see over 400psi.
    Also check turbo vane actuator adjustment.
    There is a test port on the side of the high pressure fuel pump.. you could test low RPM pressure, make sure its not starving.

Does it smoke at idle, or only when loaded up under throttle?

Edit: Pretty old thread. Have you fixed this car yet??