2006 Audi a4 2.0tdi oil pump problem

Discussion in 'New TDI forum member introductions' started by Noel, Jul 19, 2011.

1. Noel

Noel New Member

Car:
    hey! Ok im brand new to this so have patience!! I bought an audi a4 2006 2.0tdi a few months back. Its the 140 bhp model. I always take care of any car I have and nothing is overlooked. Howver a big problem was encountered last week when the low oil pressure light came on. I immediately turned it off and it was towed to my local garage. Basically this is what has happened since then. The garage checked the pressure of the oil to make sure that it was not a faulty switch that had set it off. The switch was proven to be correct and there was no oil pressure of any sort reaching this location. When i started the car to allow him to carry out the test I noticed that the brake pedal was gone hard and hard to push. I found this strange as it was perfect before and there had not been any issue with the brakes. Upon the garage finding no evidence so far to what was wrong he went about removing the sump which resulted in the engine having to be lifted up to get room to get the sump out. When he opened the housing for the oil pump unit I will describe as best as i can what was going on. I suppose this is where I should have a pic at the ready!! The actual oil pump was in the top left corner of the assembly. This is connected to a small thin hexagonal pin that travels to the right that is connected into what I was describe as a balancer?? This is meshed that with gears below it which spins then in the opposite direction. I had heard that a common problem that would occur was that the pin would round out and stop the oil pump spinning. However the pin is in perfect condition. What happened is that the pin rounded out the hexaginal shaped recieved part in the balancer unit. I rang the main dealer who has said that you cannot buy this part seperate first of all, that it has been replaced with an entirely different oil pump component unit and this is a problem that occurs. Now firstly I am wondering if this is the case?? Surely there must be some company that manufactures the individual components that was the originals in this car??? I would have thought this to be the case??? The main dealer went on to say that the entire unit has been replaced with an updated version and also that it is reccomended that the sump be also changed to accomodate the new oil pump assembly although he also said he does not believe this t be necessary if not desired. The new unit that is sold in one piece as he said is about 1350 + vat (euros) so thats about 1500 euros. It seems very expensive to me that a small rounded out hole for the pin would necessitate the cost of buying an entire new unit.
    Has anyone the answers to these questions . . . .

Firstly if the oil pressure was so low and it was started only to check the oil pressure in the garage is there a chance that the turbo might now be dameged and it will fail later. The low oil pressure light did not come on while the car was ticking over but did at a slightly higher rev . . . The pin was just starting to slip but is was well and truely bad at this stage . . .

If it helps the engine code is BRE.

Would the oil pump need to be changed at 80,000 miles as is on the car at the moment now that the assembly is out?? If so is there a recommended oil pump change interval for same?? I believe the price is around 180 euros.

The brake pedal going hard at the same time seemed very strange to me . . any suggestions??

Does anyone know where the balancer? connected to the pin to the pump can be sourced to replace the original on its own . . . i persume if i go to scrap yards i will have to buy the engine, take it out and apart and then see if the part i need is actually any good??

Any help would be so much appreciated, im outta my depth here and could do with some help. . . I believe at the min if i can sourced a new original replacement that all will be fine for the moment and this will get me back on the road.

Please read and comment . . . Thanks, Noel
    login to remove this ad
  2. Stefan2006

Stefan2006 New Member

Car:
    2006 VW Jetta TDI
  3. chittychittybangbang

chittychittybangbang Administrator

Car:
    2006 Jetta TDI
    There is no schedule of change for the oil pump since it's supposed to be a life time part.

There is no replacement pin, it's worn. Swap the whole thing to the gear module instead of the chain module and be done with it. I agree, I wouldn't replace parts until they're broken or unless you think they're broken. As long as it was shut down fast, the turbo could be OK.
  4. Noel

Noel New Member

Car:

The drive in thias engine is a gear drive which i hear is better than the chain drive. . . is there anywhere i can buy a replacment balancer part that is connected to the metal pin??

Thanks for the replies to date :)
  5. chittychittybangbang

Car:
    2006 Jetta TDI
    It already has a gear drive? Are you sure? I don't see BRE engine code for 2006. I see BKE and BPW.

The VW parts catalog does not list the balancer parts, only the balancer module as a whole.
  6. grn04

grn04 New Member

Did you read the FAQ article? There's a magazine scan about the drive pin stripping. The brake pedal probably got hard because the engine wasn't running. If you step on the brake pedal a few times with the engine off the pedal gets hard.
  7. Noel

Noel New Member

Car:
    so i could buy one of the two balancer shafts concerned. My local main dealership in Galway said they are no longer available anywhere and I must buy te complete modified unit for 1350 + vat . . . . ????
  8. Noel

Noel New Member

Car:
    No, i have to admit that i am new to this site and did not loook into that. The brake pedal gets hard even when the engine is running and leaves it with practically no brakes. The only time that it ran is when i was pulling in when the light came on the first day and when checking the oil pressure on the guage . . . . . Thanks for your reply
  9. chittychittybangbang

Car:
    2006 Jetta TDI
    You must buy the whole module. Sorry but this is a common pain shared amongst many. I don't know where you could buy the components since it comes assembled.

The hard brake pedal could be a bad brake booster, bad vacuum pump, or popped vac hose.
  10. Noel

Noel New Member

Car:
    oh i dunno, its a pain :( The brakes only went hard when the low oil pressure light came on . .

looks like its going to be dear unless i can get a part :(

any suggestions please before i buy the entire unit today . . . PLEASE :( :( :(
  11. tompa66

tompa66 New Member

Car:
    A4 2.0 tdi 2006