2005 Passat TDI - Oil recommendations

Discussion in 'VW Mk4 Jetta, Golf, New Beetle, Passat TDI forum' started by AJW, Dec 12, 2017.

1. AJW

AJW New Member

Car:
    05 Passat GL TDI
    Mods:
    None
    Hi all,

Just bought a 2005 Passat and had a bad transmission. Had that re-built and it is running good. Now I'm looking into changing the oil and needless to say there is a lot of information on this here, but a lot of it seems older like 2006 time period. I'm having trouble finding places that sell the oil people were recommending. Does anyone here have 2004-2005 Passat tdi currently and what oil are you using? I see it needs to be to the 505.01 spec, but then I read articles elsewhere where people are using regular oil and adding a zinc additive to protect the cam lobes. I'm just wondering since it's been 11 years since a lot of the articles I'm reading have been posted if there have been advancements in oil that allow of the use of oils that aren't 505.01 rated? Also thoughts on 5w-30 vs 5w-40?

I'd really like to find something that I could get by just swinging by the local Walmart for convenience, but also don't want to jeopardize my engine by using an unapproved oil, unless there has been wide success from fellow owners with an unapproved oil. I found a pennzoil Euro AV SAE 5W-30 oil at walmart for 8 bucks a quart and is 505.01 approved, any luck?

Anything helps just throwing this out here.

Thank you,

AJ W.
    Lansing, MI

2. Oil Smoker

Oil Smoker New Member

Car:
    2005 VW Passat GLS TDI
    I mess with old American V8s that still have flat tappet camshafts, those are similar to the PD TDI engines in that the cam lobes ride directly on a flat follower instead of on a roller bearing. This obviously creates lots of friction and pressure at those points which is what the zinc is required for; in my old stuff I use an oil called Brad Penn which is designed for older engines with flat tappet cams. BUT with that said...

From what I've read these PD TDI engines are picky about what oil you run. They last a long time and could probably take one of the ones you mentioned but for me personally, I only use the factory-recommended Liqui-Moly brand oil. The oil change interval on these cars is 10,000 miles (basically once a year) so in my mind I'd rather spend the extra $5-10 just to make SURE if I have some sort of engine failure, it was not due to oil.

Here's a link to the Liqui-Moly, you can either order it online or some of the "better" auto parts stores sell it (NAPA). NAPA is also the only store that has the proper "pink" PentoFrost coolant in stock that I've found which you *must* use in these cars, mixing in any other type of coolant can cause serious gelling issues and potentially cause some expensive damage.

https://www.idparts.com/liqui-moly-diesel-high-tech-5w40-liter-p-2138.html

Hope that helps...

Khalid Z.
    Fort Collins, CO

P.S. My Passat is about to hit 200k miles on the odo and we got it with 180k so I'm pretty confident in using the factory-spec oil, just extra peace-of-mind...

Last edited: Dec 14, 2017
  3. Dave N

Dave N Member

Car:
    06 Golf TDI BEW 09A
  4. Oil Smoker

Oil Smoker New Member

Car:
    2005 VW Passat GLS TDI
  5. drucifer

drucifer Member

Car:
    2004 jetta tdi pd wagon
    Mods:
    panzer plate fmj
    Stick with the 5w/40. If you need a top off Rotela T6 while not on the list is readily available from walmart.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2017
  6. mgoff5000

mgoff5000 Member

Car:
    2000 Jetta 5-spd, 2004 Passat Wagon
    Mods:
    Jetta is on H&R Sport/Koni Yellows, Skid plates on Jetta/Passat, BSD and cam replaced on Passat
    Most convenient likely ordering the kit from idparts or fcpEuro or another vendor. Can't beat having it just show up at your door.

7. BanditBEW

BanditBEW New Member

Car:
    volkswagen Jetta TDI BEW 2004
    Ive always had good results with the oil change kits from idparts.

8. AJW

AJW New Member

Car:
    05 Passat GL TDI
    Mods:
    None
    Hey guys thanks for all the suggestions and help. I ended up calling my local VW dealership down the road and the tech told me they sell the oil for 7.50 a quart. So bought a case and a filter and it worked good. The oil they use is castrol edge professional 505.01 in a 5w-40. I attached a picture of what the jug looks like for reference. Or at least am trying to attach... seeems to be giving me issues on the size of the jpeg