2005 passat need to check compression! plus low oil pressure...

Discussion in 'VW Mk4 Jetta, Golf, New Beetle, Passat TDI forum' started by coolfool, Aug 22, 2011.

1. coolfool

coolfool New Member

Car:
    2005 vw tdi
    I want to purchase a Passat with a low pressure warning light on, but first i would like to check the engine the best possible.

Do i need to have the car warm to check the compression? If not warmed up how will it alter reading?

If the car has 165k what else should i check/worry about?

I do realize that the bad oil pump or failed balance shaft module will needs to be worked on. Please route me in the direction of the best description of replacing of the module to a gear driven unit! Thanks!

How do i view the other section of this? http://www.myturbodiesel.com/1000q/b5/oil-pump-failure-passat-tdi.htm

Thanks in advance!
    login to remove this ad
  2. Seatman

Seatman Active Member

Car:
    2000 Mk4 Golf Estate 1.9tdi 174 bhp
    Mods:
    PP764's, turbo and mapping
  3. Seatman

Seatman Active Member

Car:
    2000 Mk4 Golf Estate 1.9tdi 174 bhp
    Mods:
    PP764's, turbo and mapping
  4. chittychittybangbang

chittychittybangbang Administrator

Car:
    2006 Jetta TDI
    Worn camshafts are another problem. Browse the b5 FAQ, it has a new owner checklist at the top for common problems.

Since the oil pressure warning light is already on, expect to change the camshaft. A bad turbo is also possible. The crankshaft main bearings are also suspect but if you're already changing the oil pump module it's not that bad (except that you have to remove the transmission to get the crank off). Plan to put a few thousand into the car.