2005 Beetle TDI

Discussion in 'New TDI forum member introductions' started by CGEnterprises, Jul 15, 2012.

1. CGEnterprises

CGEnterprises New Member

Car:
    2005 Beetle
    Part-time shop, first TDI Timing Belt change. Helpful insight here.

Only hangup (other than the tight quarters) is locating the OEM coolant.

So far so good. Thx for this resource!
    login to remove this ad
  2. gt4494

gt4494 Member

Car:
    2005 NB
    Southeast Coast on I-95. Radar detector on and yes Herbie still gets 40mpg at 80 mph
    It was easiest to just get the coolant with the belt kit from DieselGeek. One stop shopping and quick delivery with all the correct Parts.
  3. Frank M

Frank M Member

Car:
    2000 NB
    Mods:
    ventectomy
    use dexcool. walmart sells it too.
  4. YMZ

YMZ Super Moderator

Car:
    Jetta 2003, Golf 2001
    Latitude 44.407959, longitude -76.018369.
    Beg to differ!!! Although there are people who have had success using dexcool, there have been others with tales of woe... Better to stick with VW-rated fluid... There are several manufacturers' products that one can often find in car parts shops that deal with imported cars... as well, the VW dealership stuff isn't that expensive considering how often one needs to use it...

Yuri
  5. Frank M

Frank M Member

Car:
    2000 NB
    Mods:
    ventectomy
    Well, when there are "tales of woe" it is almost always due to using green coolant.
    Dexcool and green do not mix at all. It turns to gell.

On the other hand using aftermarket parts from online vendors can be a "tale of woe".
    Why don't we advocate only the use of VW factory parts?

Perhaps if an online vendor sold Dexcool, then we would advocate the use of it?
  6. YMZ

YMZ Super Moderator

Car:
    Jetta 2003, Golf 2001
    There are many instances where an aftermarket product may actually be better than the OEM recommendation... (Remember when VW dealerships were still selling the old-style timing belts for pre-2002 ALH engines even though the long-life belts had been out for years?)

DexCool is engineered differently from a G-12 - rated product... in one test that comes to mind, dealing with pitting, G-12 shows a increase in material of 23.3 mg/sq. cm whereas the DexCool has a loss of material of 120.7 mg/sq. cm. There are many other examples that could be hunted down, but... this isn't a tough call...

Yuri
  7. Frank M

Frank M Member

Car:
    2000 NB
    Mods:
    ventectomy
    The belts were still reliable even though a 60k belt. Quality was known, it is unknown with online vendors.

Prestone should be notified about their Dexcool being incorrect for a VW. They still say it is okay on the website.
    Dexcool is used in millions of cars as well as new GM cars.

Perhaps your specs may be different for the VW stuff however it is not bad for a VW or better either.
    Are you suggesting getting the coolant from the dealer? I can agree to that.

So if an online vendor sold Dexcool, then would it be acceptible to use it?

Why is it okay to use 100% non factory parts from an unknown source? Yet a well known source such as Prestone can not be trusted?
  8. YMZ

YMZ Super Moderator

Car:
    Jetta 2003, Golf 2001
    Are you deliberately being obtuse? G-12 is produced by several manufacturers... Motul, I believe, is one... there are others... Pentosin, Hepu... They'd all be preferred to a so-called "Universal" coolant that has had numerous changes in formulation - none of the details of which are provided the consumer.

As for non-factory parts... you are aware, aren't you, that VW doesn't really manufacture the idlers, water pumps, tensioners, belts, etc. for their cars. If one buys a truly "unknown" part from a less-than-reputable online vendor, he deserves what he gets. If one buys aftermarket parts from known vendors, he's in no worse a situation, and frequently in a better situation than someone who blindly buys from the local dealership. Oh, BTW, I've received quite a number of incorrect parts from various VW dealerships...

Caveat Emptor.

Yuri
  9. Frank M

Frank M Member

Car:
    2000 NB
    Mods:
    ventectomy
    Of course VW doesn't manufacture parts.
    They have a spec and allow the vendor to stamp their logo on it because it represents their quality.
    There are counterfeit parts sold on the internet with a VW logo, made in Germany on the package.
    At least a VW dealer knows the source of parts, the online vender does not.
    Also a part manufacturer does not have every part meet the VW spec. What do they do with marginal parts or out of spec parts? They do not shred them, they sell them as past from an OEM manufacturer.

I have many pics of counterfeit parts that failed.

Now back to the coolant.
    Telling a forum member to buy parts from an online vendor is risky. Forum members trust what other members recommend. What if the part fails due to inferior quality and wipes out an engine? I would feel responsible as I gave bad advice, perhaps others would not.

Dexcool meets the VW spec the same as certain oils meet the spec.
    Prestone is a well know company and if the coolant does fail it is their problem whereas a online vendor makes up the rules as they go along.

Of course if a member tells another member who to buy from and has a vested interest in the sale, would not be following rules of etiquitte and deceptive, in my opinion.

Also, wrong parts and bad parts are two different things
  10. YMZ

YMZ Super Moderator

Car:
    Jetta 2003, Golf 2001
    Wrong... it does not...

Yuri
  11. purple92tsi

purple92tsi New Member

Car:
    04 bew tdi golf
    local carquest has it by me but dealer always works
  12. gt4494

gt4494 Member

Car:
    2005 NB
    Southeast Coast on I-95. Radar detector on and yes Herbie still gets 40mpg at 80 mph
    After using the same "on-line" vendor for 6 belt changes I feel very comfortable recommending them to any one. When I went to the "Dealer" and they wanted $1200 to change the belt and idler pulley (nothing else) I lost total faith in them. Reputable "on line" dealers that only sell VW parts stake their lively hood on sales and word of mouth.

NO I do not have any connection to vendors I recommend. I just tell it like I see it.