2005.5 radiator leak

Discussion in 'Mk5 VW Jetta, Sportwagen, and Audi A3 TDI forum' started by ncolz, Aug 7, 2017.

1. ncolz

ncolz New Member

Car:
    2005.5 Jetta tdi
    Hi All,
    I have a 2005.5 TDI with about 145k miles. I noticed some coolant leaking from the front - dropped the belly pan and cleaned everything up and let it sit overnight. The next morning there was a little coolant puddled up, so I crawled back under and it looks like the passenger side of the radiator is leaking oh so slowly.

I haven't found any instructions on removing the radiator and the Bentley service manual doesn't mention the process. I did see the write-up on coolant fan repair and the writer said to drop the fans down from inside the engine compartment. Does the radiator come out the same way? I'll get a new radiator on order from IDP, is there anything else I should replace while I'm there? Hoses, sensors, etc? I'm planning on waiting on the water pump since that will be taken care of with the next timing belt replacement.

Thanks!

2. crsmp5

crsmp5 Well-Known Member

Car:
    85 kubvan
    i will expect removing the bumper will be required.. have to unbolt the ac from the rad and the rad from the core support. but ive not had a bumper off a mk5 yet.. so look if like a mk6 or mk4....

be glad its not a dieselgate car.. they break rads when you hit the snowbank plowed over a parking stop in a parking lot.. the bumper cannot take slow impact like that with out flexing nuff to cause a rad leak... :p been a while since i replaced one... but it drops down with no bumper removal

3. USN_Ordi_LDO

USN_Ordi_LDO New Member

Car:
    2006 VW Jetta TDI
    ncolz,
    Any luck? I'm in the same situation with my early 2006 TDI. Any tips you have are appreciated.
    Thx,
    Nik

4. ncolz

ncolz New Member

Car:
    2005.5 Jetta tdi
    Well, the whole front end needs to come off. It's not as bad as it sounds, but just takes a lot of time. Grill, headlights, bumper skin, bumper, then the big plastic piece that holds all the radiators. Best of luck to you.

USN_Ordi_LDO likes this.
  5. Kyosho

Kyosho Member

Car:
    2005.5 VW Jetta TDI PKG1
    I’ve replaced the rad without taking the whole front off...is it easier, probably not, but it is doable. Just take the fans off from in engine bay, shimmy it out, then disconnect rad hoses and unscrew the rad and shimmy it out. Shimmy the new ones in through the engine bay in reverse order and all done! Good luck! Lmk if need help

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk