2004 Jetta TDI PD engine just quit running driving down road

Discussion in 'VW Mk4 Jetta, Golf, New Beetle, Passat TDI forum' started by gearjammer, Nov 28, 2011.

1. gearjammer

gearjammer New Member

Car:
    jetta 2004
    Has anyone heard of this B4. Driving down the road and the engine just stopped running. Head lights, dash lights and everything else worked correctly. The engine just did not respond at all. This car has a manual transmission and when the engine died, I kept trying to work the gas pedal with no luck. Checked all fuses, pulled both relays under hood (#'s 100, 53) and reseated with no luck. Let car sit all night. The next morning I rechecked all fuses and pulled both of the relays numbered 100/53 and ohmed the coils, they seem correct (57 ohms for the 100 can't recall the measurement for the 53). Turned on the switch to see if the coils and the hot side of the relay had power and they both do. With the power switch on the number 53 relay pulled in, but the number 100 relay did not. Removed the cover on the 100 relay and manually depressed the relay while cranking car, it started. Drove car home and went to dealer for help. Tech told me it was common for the ECU relay to fail and the car will just die going down the road like mine. Found out from looking on the E-net the 100 relay is a load reduction relay while cranking the car. With both relays removed (100-53) the car still cranks and runs correctly at this time. Drove the car appx 50 miles with no trouble, but know things just don't fix themselves. I do not have a service manual but would like to know the location of the ECU relay and if anyone has run across the problem B4. Thanks in advance for any help anyone can give. :bowdown
    login to remove this ad
  2. chittychittybangbang

chittychittybangbang Administrator

Car:
    2006 Jetta TDI
  3. gearjammer

gearjammer New Member

Car:
    jetta 2004
    Don't see a 109 under the hood. Only three relays under the hood. Two in a small box on the firewall and one under the cowl under the wiper motor. May be more inside under the dash behind the kick panel???
  4. chittychittybangbang

Car:
    2006 Jetta TDI
    There are 2 relay boxes under the dashboard, a main and aux.
  5. gearjammer

gearjammer New Member

Car:
    jetta 2004
    Thanks, i'll check them out. Is the Ross Tech VCDS software any good and is it worth the salt to own?
  6. chudzikb

chudzikb Member

Car:
    06 Jetta, 05.5 Jetta
    The real vagcom from ross tech is the best tool you will ever buy. Do not cheap out and get the flea bay version. Mine has paid for itself over and over.
  7. tn06golf

tn06golf New Member

Car:
    Golf 2006
    Hello Gearjammer

My 2006 TDI Golf was hard to start this morning and that is out of the norm. I drove two blocks to my Ex Wife's to pick up the kids for school and the car just died in the driveway. I mean it just stopped! And she would not kick to re-start!

I went home where I had a new replacement Fuel Filter in the garage as I have been expecting the need to change it soon. I filled the new filter to the top with diesel, went back to the car and changed the filter [New Filter, Phillips Screwdriver and Channel Locks]. Got in her, cranked it for enough that I thought it was my luck to be some other problem, but then, she fired right up and perred like a kitten.

I turned her off and re-started her and found it now starts easier than it has in at least the last three years.

Good Luck, Jeff
  8. chittychittybangbang

Car:
    2006 Jetta TDI
    The car or the Ex-Wife:panic: just kidding ;)
  9. gearjammer

gearjammer New Member

Car:
    jetta 2004
    Thanks for the info on the SW and your right about flea bay. The only thing that started good with my X, was a fight. Good idea about the fuel filter, I will change this week end. I will also look under the dash and reseat all of the relays and fuses if any.
  10. gearjammer

gearjammer New Member

Car:
    jetta 2004
    Replaced fuel filter and you were right tn06golf, it had stuff in it. Pulled the kick panel and found more relays, reseated all. The car has not had any problems since the first and only time it quit, but I hooked up the car hauler to the truck just in case.

BTW, started reading about the PD engine (in myturbo diesel) and how the injectors pump up. I now understand why it's important to run the correct VW spec oil in this engine. I have always purchased the oil from the dealer because I could not find it any other way. I can see how this engine would be subject to camshaft wear. Any info on this subject would be great.
  11. chudzikb

chudzikb Member

Car:
    06 Jetta, 05.5 Jetta
    Many theorize that the VW spec oil does not provide enough protection. They are using Mobil 1 TDT and Shell Rotella T-6 with good results as per oil analysis. But, as with other issues, everyone has an opinion on this one. If you are from a warmer climate, a thicker oil is in order, or so the theory goes...
  12. gearjammer

gearjammer New Member

Car:
    jetta 2004
    I agree with the thicker oil. I always thought the 5w30 was to light of an oil for this engine. I have a 99 Super Duty and it uses the Rotella 15w40. I can see where it would help the cam shaft wear with the thicker oil. I have read that some drivers are using the thin oil in the winter months and the thicker oil in the summer months. We just had a dragster with a SB2 lose a lifter and the cam shaft was damaged. When we checked the oil filter, it looked like a metalic paint running out of it. Crank, rods, etc... were all still good, we only made one pass. Does the Mobil1 TDT and Rotella T6 exceed the 505.01 VW spec or how does that work. The dealer now sells Castrol SLX Professional OE and it does meet that VW spec. Thanks in advance for the help.
  13. Lew

Lew New Member

Car:
    2005 TDI Beetle
    The 109 is under the dash on the BEW 04 Jetta. As for the Castrol SLX 505.01 I have used it the wife's car since new. Just make sure you change it and the oil filter every 10K.....I just pick up a case from the Dealer, and pay around $40 plus tax for 6 quarts. So many people use the wrong oils and have engine problems that occur and wind up paying big bucks for repairs. There are other brands of oil with 505.01 specs one can use. :)
  14. gearjammer

gearjammer New Member

Car:
    jetta 2004
    Thanks for the info from all of you. I have not had any problems with the car since that one time, not sure whats going on.