2003 Volkswagen tdi timing belt replacement

Discussion in 'New TDI forum member introductions' started by cwm1998, Aug 20, 2012.

1. cwm1998

cwm1998 New Member

Car:
    2003 volkswagen Jetta turbodiesel
    I had my timing belt and water pump replaced and 100 miles later two valves broke and ruined my engine. What caused this.

2. YMZ

YMZ Super Moderator

Car:
    Jetta 2003, Golf 2001
    Latitude 44.407959, longitude -76.018369.
    Sorry to hear of this...

Given it was only 320 miles (that's what you wrote in your other - deleted as duplicate - message... which was it?) after your timing belt change, chances are that the fault lies with the procedure used... There are many ways to mess up a timing belt system replacement... difficult to guess where this one went wrong - and yes, there's a small chance that your problem had nothing to do with the replacement, but... at 320 miles...

Who did the work? I'd get them to buy you a rebuilt cylinder head and a new timing belt system...

Good luck getting them to do anything about it!!!

Yuri

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 20, 2012
  3. Frank M

Frank M Member

Car:
    2000 NB
    Mods:
    ventectomy
    by any chance was it the exhaust valve in cylinder #3?
    if so I know what happened..

4. chittychittybangbang

chittychittybangbang Administrator

Car:
    2006 Jetta TDI
    what would you say if it was?

5. Frank M

Frank M Member

Car:
    2000 NB
    Mods:
    ventectomy
    I would say while the cam was locked in place (#1 up and #3 exh valve opened) they may have moved the crank enough to cause impact on #3 exhaust valve and weakened it without bending it.
    Then, in time it could have broken at the stem area, dropped the vlave in the combustion chamber..

notice how many have #3 exhaust valves break and drop awhile after the timing belt