2003 Volkswagen tdi timing belt replacement

Discussion in 'New TDI forum member introductions' started by cwm1998, Aug 20, 2012.

1. cwm1998

cwm1998 New Member

Car:
    2003 volkswagen Jetta turbodiesel
    I had my timing belt and water pump replaced and 100 miles later two valves broke and ruined my engine. What caused this.
    login to remove this ad
  2. YMZ

YMZ Super Moderator

Car:
    Jetta 2003, Golf 2001
    Latitude 44.407959, longitude -76.018369.
    Sorry to hear of this...

Given it was only 320 miles (that's what you wrote in your other - deleted as duplicate - message... which was it?) after your timing belt change, chances are that the fault lies with the procedure used... There are many ways to mess up a timing belt system replacement... difficult to guess where this one went wrong - and yes, there's a small chance that your problem had nothing to do with the replacement, but... at 320 miles...

Who did the work? I'd get them to buy you a rebuilt cylinder head and a new timing belt system...

Good luck getting them to do anything about it!!!

Yuri
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 20, 2012
  3. Frank M

Frank M Member

Car:
    2000 NB
    Mods:
    ventectomy
    by any chance was it the exhaust valve in cylinder #3?
    if so I know what happened..
  4. chittychittybangbang

chittychittybangbang Administrator

Car:
    2006 Jetta TDI
    what would you say if it was?
  5. Frank M

Frank M Member

Car:
    2000 NB
    Mods:
    ventectomy
    I would say while the cam was locked in place (#1 up and #3 exh valve opened) they may have moved the crank enough to cause impact on #3 exhaust valve and weakened it without bending it.
    Then, in time it could have broken at the stem area, dropped the vlave in the combustion chamber..

notice how many have #3 exhaust valves break and drop awhile after the timing belt