2002 jetta TDI

Discussion in 'New TDI forum member introductions' started by Dudenhymer, May 29, 2012.

1. Dudenhymer

Dudenhymer New Member

Car:
    2002 Jetta
    Hello,

Bought a 2002 Jetta TDI from a co-worker back in January for $2K. Car had 158K on it when I bought it now has about 168K. Timing belt was replaced at about 150K. They car ran like crap when I acquired it but still got about 45 mpg. I found the intake and EGR clogged down to about a quarter inch. Got all the soot from the EGR and most out of the intake with a power washer (could still feel some buildup near the head) Now i'm able to achieve 53+ MPG but the car still seems like it's not running 100%. When driving hard it pulls hardest around 3500-4000 RPM which I don't think is normal for this motor, feel like i'm missing some low-mid range power. Power doesn't come on as smooth as I would like between gears either. I shift somewhere in the 3500-4K range and it takes a second or 2 to start pulling "hard" again in the next gear. Shifting at a lower RPM just makes things worse. I feel like I'm driving my old 93 civic dx again having to revv the piss out of it to get it to go anywhere :annoyed

So... I'm going to start by checking out the VNT system. I bought a VAG-COM cable so i'm all ready to dig in. Unfortunately I don't have a lot of time to spend during the week so it will be a slow process.
    login to remove this ad
  2. chittychittybangbang

chittychittybangbang Administrator

Car:
    2006 Jetta TDI
    Check out the low power FAQ article for a full checklist.very suspect : MAF sensor.
  3. Dudenhymer

Dudenhymer New Member

Car:
    2002 Jetta
    One of the first things I did to the car was replace the MAF. Before I bought VAG-COM or even took the time to learn much I was reading the low power FAQ and jumped on the first and easiest solution. Needless to say the new MAF didn't help the low power issue. I tested the old MAF with VAG-COM and it was fine, still running the new MAF. Maybe the new one is bad, i'll swap them out when I get home in the morning (buddy of mine is borrowing the VAG). Thx.