2002 jetta, 1.9 bearing failure

Discussion in 'VW Mk4 Jetta, Golf, New Beetle, Passat TDI forum' started by krauthammer, Jul 28, 2011.

1. krauthammer

krauthammer New Member

Car:
    2001 jetta 2002 jetta
    Mods:
    none
    2002 1.9 the large bearing on the timing belt came apart while drive about 20 mph, engine died.pulled T belt cover saw belt was loose, removed lower cover found ball bearings in the bottom. pulled cam shaft inspected lifters no sign of damage, removed lifters , no sign of damage to valve stems, removing cylinder head Friday after work. I suspect slightly bent valves but with no head damage, T belt did not break but timing jumped by est of 90 deg. Anyone witness this before ? I have the 100 k belt kit in stock but I want to make sure I'm not taking this apart again this winter. working for German car dealers that last 11 years I know we replace everything just to prevent comebacks, I'm going to only replace what is required. anyone had this happen to them ?
    login to remove this ad
  2. Seatman

Seatman Active Member

Car:
    2000 Mk4 Golf Estate 1.9tdi 174 bhp
    Mods:
    PP764's, turbo and mapping
    Apparently you have to be careful because the valves can break at a later date, they do hit and it's highly likely they made contact, I've read about it a number of times on these forums so you might want to look into the cost of a set of valves, it might be worth it.:)

welcometomyturbodies
  3. chittychittybangbang

chittychittybangbang Administrator

Car:
    2006 Jetta TDI
    Are the valves all the same length? Move in-out with no problem? Valve guide? Since the valves go straight up-down, they sometimes mushroom the stems. If the TB was 90 degrees off, something hit. If the injection pump slips, it's possible for the cam-crank to be OK but it seems they often strip at the crank. See the head replacement article for some pics.
  4. krauthammer

krauthammer New Member

Car:
    2001 jetta 2002 jetta
    Mods:
    none
    t belt pulley failure

Don't know of any valve damage yet since the head is still on the block, last night I removed parts from engine to prepare for head removal today after work. I found a kit from blau parts I think ? valves with lifters 229 ? If I have to replace one valve I'm doing them all. I will post by sat what I find since the temp today may hit 103 with heat index of 115. I may find it to warm to complete this job after work today.
  5. krauthammer

krauthammer New Member

Car:
    2001 jetta 2002 jetta
    Mods:
    none
    damage report

Removed head and found that only the exhaust valves made any contact at all. The engine timing jump affected mostly the injection pump which killed the engine. The only damage was a slight circle shaped spot in the carbon on top of the piston.In fact the valve did not even bend and will hold water in the port, however I plan on replacing them anyway. I'm sure I could have just installed a new timing belt and been done with it but I plan to drive it another 100 k. I also plan to clean the intake, the air charge cooler and lines, and replace all the cooling hoses while the head is off.I would say I was lucky since this happened at idle as I was about to take off.I have photos but don't know how to upload them
  6. chittychittybangbang

chittychittybangbang Administrator

Car:
    2006 Jetta TDI
  7. krauthammer

krauthammer New Member

Car:
    2001 jetta 2002 jetta
    Mods:
    none
    Sunday 08/14/2011, ok job done, no valves were bent, replaced exhaust valves just to be safe, checked timing after job with vag com, dead on, no adjustment needed. test drove car 110 miles, checked engine, no leaks of oil , or engine faults, plan on taking it to work this week to put it on lift and recheck everything again.Thanks for all the info and pictures which made the job easy. I love this car.
  8. krauthammer

krauthammer New Member

Car:
    2001 jetta 2002 jetta
    Mods:
    none
    Aug 26 2011, the engine has been running for two weeks now, cleaned the intake , turned off the egr with vag com, turned down the fuel with vag com, drove it to to Nashville today 600 miles on half a tank of fuel. ( filled it to the max before I left ) It should make it most of the way home before fueling again. I think I really like this car. It pulled all the hills on this trip doing 75 mph in 5 th gear no problem with a/c on. Next I think I'm going to tweek it some and see what I can get out of it.