1. Welcome to myturbodiesel.com, if this is your first visit, please read 1000 answered questions - TDI FAQ, DIY, and Wiki by clicking the link here or in the navigation bar above. Click the "Sign up Now" button to the right to create an account, registration is fast and free.
  2. After you create a free account, every subforum has reply boxes. Here is a thread showing how to create an account or post a new question, shown with pictures

2000 TDI,VAG16764, P0380: Glow Plug/Heater Circuit (A) Electrical Fault in Circuit

Discussion in 'VW Mk4 Jetta, Golf, New Beetle, Passat TDI forum' started by Benpacas, Aug 4, 2009.

1. Benpacas

Benpacas New Member

Hope you all are doing great! Maybe you guys can help me on this one, yesterday a 2000 TDI was brought to me with the code in mention, I performed procedures mentioned in the service manual and all ok, but the weird thing is that when I disconnect the coolant sensor glow plugs work fine, when coolant sensor is connected glow plugs do not work, when i perform the glow plug test with my scanner they light up perfectly, relay ok so I changed coolant sensor and have the same results, while sensor is connected no voltage to the glow plugs. I suspect a faulty ECM but maybe wrong, has somebody encountered this problem?

Any advice will be much appreciated.

Thanks,

Ben:thumbsup
    login to remove this ad
  2. chittychittybangbang

chittychittybangbang Administrator

Car:
    2006 Jetta TDI
    A bad glow plug wiring harness is a possibility.

Since you have a 2000, it could have a 2 or 4 sense harness. The 2 senses the wires as a whole. I'm guessing this is what you have because of the code. If you have the 4 it senses each glow plug separately. If you had this it would probably show an individual glow plug code fault.

Other than that, a shorted wire somewhere. Faulty ECMs aren't very common but it's possible.

Also check for coolant migration. Look through the FAQ liked at the top of the forum. Bascially, remove the sensor plug on the coolant reservoir and if it's all wet the car has coolant migration which causes random electrical problems. Read more about it in the FAQ article.

It's probably not the relay. You could also check the glow plugs for resistance.
  3. Fluid

Fluid New Member

That is weird, try replacing the glow plug harness and go from there. Since it is throwing the code, fix what is throwing the code and maybe the other problem will get fixed too.
  4. Benpacas

Benpacas New Member

Thanks for the info, will check recomendations, let you guys know what i found.:thumbsup
  5. buddey

buddey New Member

Car:
    2000 golf tdi
    Hi I have a 2000 golf tdi that does not get a code but the glow plugs are new the harness is new the relay is new and the temp sensor is also new when I remove the plug from the temp. sensor it works fine when plugged back it will stay on 2 seconds and go off. I have verified that I do have voltage to the plugs and the new plugs check out as they should I also checked the new temp sensor and it checks out. If I read the circuit correctly it only leaves the ecm. can the ecm loose settings thanks any help would be appreciated
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 8, 2011
  6. Bones

Bones New Member

Car:
    Jetta-TDI 2000
    Buddey, Did you ever get this resolved? I'm facing the same issue on my '00 Jetta. MIL is driving me crazy. Can't get a state inspection with it on.