1. Welcome to myturbodiesel.com, if this is your first visit, please read 1000 answered questions - TDI FAQ, DIY, and Wiki by clicking the link here or in the navigation bar above. Click the "Sign up Now" button to the right to create an account, registration is fast and free.
  2. After you create a free account, every subforum has reply boxes. Here is a thread showing how to create an account or post a new question, shown with pictures

2000 TDi Tensioner Question Need Advice!

Discussion in 'VW Mk4 Jetta, Golf, New Beetle, Passat TDI forum' started by rjsummer, May 24, 2012.

1. rjsummer

rjsummer New Member

Car:
    2000 Jetta TDi
    This is my second t-belt change but its been so long and forget some things.
    I just finished mounting the T-belt. Replaced all moving parts that contact the belt. Got the Hepu kit, comes with a Litens tensioner. I set the tensioner so the notch was perfectly centered in the slot. My understanding is that the top end of the the slot when tightening is the top end of range, the bottom of the slot is the lowest end. (read that on Litens website instruction pdf)
    Anyway, centered the notch, rotated twice and the notch is in the hatched area.(worn belt area)
    Did it all over again, this time the notch was at the lowest end of the range after 2 turns. Couldnt get it to stay centered. After numerous tries, notch is still at the lowest end.
    HERE'S the question. Is it ok that I did this... I set the notch at the top end of the range. Now, after 2 turns or more, its perfectly centered. Is this idea sound?
    Litens says to center the notch, rotate, it should still be centered. Advice needed before I proceed with the re-assembly.
    Last edited by a moderator: May 24, 2012
    login to remove this ad
  2. Seatman

Seatman Active Member

Car:
    2000 Mk4 Golf Estate 1.9tdi 174 bhp
    Mods:
    PP764's, turbo and mapping
    The tensioner never seems to sit back where it started after turning the engine over, you're not the first person I've read questioning this and I don't think you'll be the last but as long as you tensioned the belt correctly in the first place I wouldn't be to concerned.
    You could wait and see what other folk say though, it certainly wouldn't hurt to have more opinions.

Have a look through the faq too

http://www.myturbodiesel.com/forum/...-new-beetle-golf-alh-engine-1998-2003-a-2976/
  3. chittychittybangbang

chittychittybangbang Administrator

Car:
    2006 Jetta TDI
    Could be resetting the spring slightly off when you loosen. Best to fully loosen and then tighten. But if it's getting to the loose end, no harm in putting it to the edge of the "normal" area. Don't overtension though. Should be in range when done.
  4. rjsummer

rjsummer New Member

Car:
    2000 Jetta TDi
    So, heard back from the Litens rep. He says the CRITICALLY IMPORTANT thing is that the notch be centered in the slot AFTER 2 manual rotations of the engine. If not, the tensioner will hammer itself to death trying to compensate, and often ripping the travel limiter tab off, thus shredding the belt and causing engine destruction. Thanks for everyone's help trying to figure this all out.