1. Welcome to myturbodiesel.com, if this is your first visit, please read 1000 answered questions - TDI FAQ, DIY, and Wiki by clicking the link here or in the navigation bar above. Click the "Sign up Now" button to the right to create an account, registration is fast and free.
  2. After you create a free account, every subforum has reply boxes. Here is a thread showing how to create an account or post a new question, shown with pictures

2000 TDI Camshaft break in process

Discussion in 'VW Mk4 Jetta, Golf, New Beetle, Passat TDI forum' started by 72ford4x4, Feb 21, 2012.

1. 72ford4x4

72ford4x4 New Member

Car:
    VW JETTA TDI 2000
    Hello fellow TDI owners!

I am installing a new camshaft and lifters and was wondering about start up and break in for the cam and lifters on my 2000 TDI ALH Jetta. Any sugeestions?
    login to remove this ad
  2. chittychittybangbang

chittychittybangbang Administrator

Car:
    2006 Jetta TDI
    Some suggest gibbs break in oil but I just drizzled w/enigne oil and kept it at around 2000 rpm for 10 minutes to keep pressure up.
  3. Mavrick

Mavrick Member

Car:
    1999.5 VW Jetta TDI
    No break in required. Take it easy for 20-30 minutes idling, reving to 2000 and driving until the oil is warm and the lifters are all pumped up. Valvetrain may be noisy (ticking) for the first 5-10 minutes, that is normal.

Be sure to crank the engine over by hand several times over a 10-20 minute period before you run it because if the lifters are pumped up (full of oil) before you install them, this could result in tighter clearances and possibly valve/lifter damage right away!