1. Welcome to myturbodiesel.com, if this is your first visit, please read 1000 answered questions - TDI FAQ, DIY, and Wiki by clicking the link here or in the navigation bar above. Click the "Sign up Now" button to the right to create an account, registration is fast and free.
  2. After you create a free account, every subforum has reply boxes. Here is a thread showing how to create an account or post a new question, shown with pictures

1998 VW Jetta TDI Low Power

Discussion in 'VW Mk3 Jetta, Passat TDI and other/older diesels' started by dieselvw, Nov 10, 2010.

1. dieselvw

dieselvw New Member

Car:
    1998 VW Jetta TDI
    My 1998 VW Jetta TDI has 214,000 miles on it. Gradually it started to produce heavier and heavier black smoke. I had the intake manifold removed and it was full of oily carbonized soot. After cleaning the car quit smoking and mileage improved. However the engine hesitates and smokes a little more with the MAF sensor plugged in. Unplugging the MAF sensor allows the car to run clean with no hesitation. However with or without the MAF the car has minimal power. Generally it is still fine for around town but acceleration on the freeway is slower than it should be. I can still drive at 70 or 80 just fine. Haven't tried any faster. I replaced the MAF, but no change in behavior, so I have left the sensor unplugged. Air filter is fine.

I'm thinking wastegate valve, EGR valve, or turbo charger could need cleaning or replacement.

This car has always been a good running vehicle with great fuel mileage. Any thoughts or other ideas.
    login to remove this ad
  2. chittychittybangbang

chittychittybangbang Administrator

Car:
    2006 Jetta TDI
  3. dieselherb1

dieselherb1 New Member

Car:
    96,2 97Passats,98,2000 Jettas,3 81 Rabbit pickups, 95 Chevy pickup diesel
    Could also be the pressure hoses that go to the N75 valve and also to the ECM
  4. David Embree

David Embree New Member

Car:
    1998 jetta TDI
    cleaned intake tdi

welcometomyturbodies

First post here andd happy to be a member. We cleaned our 1i
    intake at 145,000 and were rewarded with the ability to climb hills again in gears higher than 2nd.
    amazing the government re-burn requirments are so expensive to purchase and maintain with questional results. Thanks to all who contribuite to the forms.