1. Welcome to myturbodiesel.com, if this is your first visit, please read 1000 answered questions - TDI FAQ, DIY, and Wiki by clicking the link here or in the navigation bar above. Click the "Sign up Now" button to the right to create an account, registration is fast and free.
  2. After you create a free account, every subforum has reply boxes. Here is a thread showing how to create an account or post a new question, shown with pictures

1998 Jetta TDI, how to get better economy?

Discussion in 'VW Mk3 Jetta, Passat TDI and other/older diesels' started by BillK, Aug 29, 2007.

1. BillK

BillK New Member

New owner of a 1998 Jetta TDI, getting about 40 mpg. I hear some people say that they get 50 and even 55-60 mpg. Any tips?
    login to remove this ad
  2. chittychittybangbang

chittychittybangbang Administrator

Car:
    2006 Jetta TDI
    Drive slower on the highway. Going 65 instead of 75 makes a BIG difference. Only accelerate enough and use enough gas to get you to where you can start coasting to a stop.

Of course, drive safely first, don't coast from a mile away.
  3. Blackcat

Blackcat New Member

Take it easy at stoplights. Stoplight racing does a good job of turning gas into brake dust and heat. Keep your tires inflated at a normal pressure. Use the AC on the highway if it's hot, open the windows around town.
  4. darren

darren New Member

The windows up/down doesn't make a huge difference. They did a mythbusters on this where they tested it. I imagine that the speed they did the test on ,the cars, etc., all must have had an effect too.
  5. 6eggs

6eggs New Member

Car:
    none
    Mods:
    Wyo
    Once you go above about 60 mph, wind resistance increases dramatically. Power to overcome wind resistance at 100 mph is about 8 times wind resistance at 50 mpg. Could be as low as 5 times or as great as 10 times.
  6. chittychittybangbang

chittychittybangbang Administrator

Car:
    2006 Jetta TDI
    I saw that mythbusters too and I can't see how it would make NO difference. I would have to see that episode again, though, I forget the details.
  7. BillK

BillK New Member

I think my car is just different. No real change. A few mpg here and there.