1998 Jetta TDI, how to get better economy?

Discussion in 'VW Mk3 Jetta, Passat TDI and other/older diesels' started by BillK, Aug 29, 2007.

1. BillK

BillK New Member

New owner of a 1998 Jetta TDI, getting about 40 mpg. I hear some people say that they get 50 and even 55-60 mpg. Any tips?
    login to remove this ad
  2. chittychittybangbang

chittychittybangbang Administrator

Car:
    2006 Jetta TDI
    Drive slower on the highway. Going 65 instead of 75 makes a BIG difference. Only accelerate enough and use enough gas to get you to where you can start coasting to a stop.

Of course, drive safely first, don't coast from a mile away.
  3. Blackcat

Blackcat New Member

Take it easy at stoplights. Stoplight racing does a good job of turning gas into brake dust and heat. Keep your tires inflated at a normal pressure. Use the AC on the highway if it's hot, open the windows around town.
  4. darren

darren New Member

The windows up/down doesn't make a huge difference. They did a mythbusters on this where they tested it. I imagine that the speed they did the test on ,the cars, etc., all must have had an effect too.
  5. 6eggs

6eggs New Member

Car:
    none
    Mods:
    Wyo
    Once you go above about 60 mph, wind resistance increases dramatically. Power to overcome wind resistance at 100 mph is about 8 times wind resistance at 50 mpg. Could be as low as 5 times or as great as 10 times.
  6. chittychittybangbang

chittychittybangbang Administrator

Car:
    2006 Jetta TDI
    I saw that mythbusters too and I can't see how it would make NO difference. I would have to see that episode again, though, I forget the details.
  7. BillK

BillK New Member

I think my car is just different. No real change. A few mpg here and there.