1. Welcome to myturbodiesel.com, if this is your first visit, please read 1000 answered questions - TDI FAQ, DIY, and Wiki by clicking the link here or in the navigation bar above. Click the "Sign up Now" button to the right to create an account, registration is fast and free.
  2. After you create a free account, every subforum has reply boxes. Here is a thread showing how to create an account or post a new question, shown with pictures

1997 Passat Sedan Coil Springs

Discussion in 'VW Mk3 Jetta, Passat TDI and other/older diesels' started by CaptainKirk, Jun 4, 2010.

1. CaptainKirk

CaptainKirk New Member

Do these ever need to be replaced and how do you tell? This car has 300k on the clock. Currently the shock/struts need replacing but should the spring be done as well?
    login to remove this ad
  2. If they're sagging. I wouldn't bother since the price/benefit isn't worth it. I think new springs will just raise your ride maybe a half inch.
  3. grizzly

grizzly New Member

I'd do the control arm bushings before getting new springs. Used springs will be sagging too after having weight on them for 10+ years so get new ones or don't bother replacing them. Sometimes springs will break too and they should be replaced. Lots of rust on the spring where it sits on the strut could lead to breaking.