12V power wiring for radar detector

Discussion in 'VW Mk6 Golf, Jetta, Beetle, Sportwagen TDI forum' started by JPC, Jan 18, 2010.

1. JPC

JPC New Member

Car:
    2010 Jetta TDI Sportwagen
    Does anyone have some suggestions on an easy way to wire a power cord to the fuse panel for a Passport radar detector? I have used this same cord in my previous cars (Audis) and have always found a vacant spot on the panel that provides switched 12V power that I can tap into. I usually connect a spade terminal into the fuse panel and secure the common to a nearby screw. The cord has an inline fuse in it. Can't figure it out on my new 2010 JSW.
    login to remove this ad
  2. chittychittybangbang

chittychittybangbang Administrator

Car:
    2006 Jetta TDI
    I'm going to look at someone's 2010 JSW this week and I'll look around their fusebox. However, since you've already looked around and done this install before, I imagine that you only need a multimeter to test for 12V.
  3. JPC

JPC New Member

Car:
    2010 Jetta TDI Sportwagen
    I found an empty fuse slot that had power only when the ignition was switched on and was able to use that. Because it was in to top row of the fusebox and used the smaller fuses, I had to cut down the spade terminal almost in half so that it would fit into the connection slot. I'm all set now though and everything is working fine.