05.5, What vw radio upgrades work?

Discussion in 'Mk5 VW Jetta, Sportwagen, and Audi A3 TDI forum' started by jkenosh, Jun 20, 2012.

1. jkenosh

jkenosh New Member

Car:
    06 jetta
    Hey everyone, i just got a 05.5 jetta TDI and I want to upgrade the stock radio to a vw one with the touch screen, NAV, and such. Which ones work?
    login to remove this ad
  2. chittychittybangbang

chittychittybangbang Administrator

Car:
    2006 Jetta TDI
  3. jrm1316

jrm1316 New Member

Car:
    2005.5 Jetta TDI PKG 1
    I'm using a RCD510 in my 05.5 TDI, I got a CAN Gateway module from a 2009 from a Junkyard just to be sure I didn't have any battery drain issues... Also swapped in the GTI multifunction steering wheel, new steering wheel control module, and GTI instrument cluster, I love having steering wheel audio controls, and with the RCD510 you can scroll through the preset list in the cluster. Works great.
  4. chittychittybangbang

Car:
    2006 Jetta TDI
    How do you handle the GTI tachometer?
  5. jrm1316

jrm1316 New Member

Car:
    2005.5 Jetta TDI PKG 1
    The GTI tachometer functions perfectly in a TDI (scale is not messed up due to gauge size), except the redline is in the wrong place, this is not an issue with the DSG transmission as it will always upshift at redline. It took some getting used to but I don't even realize it now. Simply swapping the foil and possibly re-flashing the cluster EEPROM is not a possibility due to a different gauge foil on the GTI gauges (almost 3-dimensional look)

The only issue I have right now is the cluster expects a glow plug light to be functioning, and there is no glow plug light, so it triggers a CEL that has to be reset every once in a while. I plan to tear apart my old cluster and hopefully find a way to implement a glow plug light or at least trick the cluster into thinking there is a glow plug light... If not I will have to buy another TDI cluster to pass my upcoming state inspection!
  6. jrm1316

jrm1316 New Member

Car:
    2005.5 Jetta TDI PKG 1
    Ended up going back to the TDI cluster with the GTI front snapped on it! Looks and works great.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 6, 2012
  7. chittychittybangbang

Car:
    2006 Jetta TDI
    Looks fantastic. Do the gauges have an anti glare coating or is it just the pic?
  8. jrm1316

jrm1316 New Member

Car:
    2005.5 Jetta TDI PKG 1
    I have always noticed the GTI gauges seem to give off that effect... I did not add any type of coating to them