04 passat tdi coolant leak

Discussion in 'VW Mk4 Jetta, Golf, New Beetle, Passat TDI forum' started by smk_texas, Jul 4, 2012.

1. smk_texas

smk_texas New Member

Car:
    VW Passat/2004
    Hi..MY 04 passat tdi leaks coolant behind the engine on the passenger side. It leaks right on to the housing where the passenger cv axle is bolted to the tranny. It all started after the radiator was serviced. Howvever i cannot find the source of the leak. Please help. Thanks

smk_texas
    login to remove this ad
  2. 69mach1377

69mach1377 Member

Car:
    2005 Passat 2.0 TDI/PD
    Is that the area where the heater hoses are?
  3. smk_texas

smk_texas New Member

Car:
    VW Passat/2004
    Hi....I am still unable to locate the source of the coolant leak. I have spent over 2 hours but no luck. It drips on the housing where the passenger side cv is attached to the tranny. It happens anytime i add coolant(distilled h20) to the reservoir when the car is sitting in the garage. I removed the intercooler hose that runs along the firewall but still unable to locate the leak. What other parts should i remove to get to the coolant flange ???? I am guessing it is the coolant flange. Please help. Thanks
    smk_texas
  4. chittychittybangbang

chittychittybangbang Administrator

Car:
    2006 Jetta TDI
    What's on the pass side?

EGR cooler hoses and heater hoses. My guess, follow the egr cooler hoses. On back ther'es a flange thats a huge pita to get to but is doable. here's a rear view, coolant temp sensor is green plug

Attached Files:

5. smk_texas

smk_texas New Member

Car:
    VW Passat/2004
    Thanks so much. The picture helps a lot and it is beginning to make sense. Now..one more question.. should i remove that shiny metallic part on top to get better access ??? Looks like this part has about 6 bolts with one hose going in and one hose going out . Thanks again.

smk_texas
  6. smk_texas

smk_texas New Member

Car:
    VW Passat/2004
    Thanks very much to the Administrator (ChittyChittybangbang). Without the picture of the rear side of the engine it wouldn't have been possible to replace the coolant flange. It made it so much easier. After i analysed the picture it was not a difficult job at all. I learned several new tricks and i'll post the step-by-step procedures under a new thread. I promise any DIYer that you can do this in less than 2 hours - 1hr or less for removal and 1hr or less for installation. Thanks again.

smk_texas
    04 -Passat TDI
  7. Elbonk

Elbonk New Member

Car:
    2004 TDI Passat
    I just pulled this up on a search- exact same problem except I got under there after changing the oil with a bright little flashlight and knew it had to be on the back of the head as it just got worse after changing the tandem pump. I saw some dried up residue on the coolant flange and watched a drip form while it was running. Is it an o-ring that goes bad, cracked plastic, hose or a seal? I'm looking forward to your tips- thanks!!