04 BEW cold start options

Discussion in 'VW Mk4 Jetta, Golf, New Beetle, Passat TDI forum' started by luxuryrules, Sep 14, 2016.

1. luxuryrules

luxuryrules Member

Car:
    2004 Jetta TDI
    I read the Cold Start issue in the FAQ and think I know the answer, but...

I've got plugs 0250402004 5V plugs in my car, and it has computer flash 038-997-016-L. I'm told the 997 in the middle of my VAG number indicates I have one of the post-recall flashes, and judging by the plug numbers I had the first recall done but not the second. Dealer will not honor the second recall for me, so I'm left to my own devices or paying them to troubleshoot/fix.

I don't mind getting a set of the latest plugs, though I am curious if my computer flash matches the latest ones already or if I'll need to get that updated? Also, I've seen reference to "old" Glow Plug Relay and "new" Glow Plug Relay, but I don't see mention of that in the FAQ - is there any updated glow plug relay I should check for? Lastly, getting to the glow plug relay I see involves removing the wiper arms, I can get those 13mm nuts off but the arms don't lift off, any tips?

Thanks in advance.

2. chittychittybangbang

chittychittybangbang Administrator

Car:
    2006 Jetta TDI
    Not sure on how to fix it now other than going to another dealer.

To get those wiper arms off, you need a puller. The fit is super tight and if you try to pry them off you'll just crack the windshield. They have to come off perfectly straight. You can also try some penetrating lube like a drop of PB Blaster to get in there and help loosen it up.

3. crsmp5

crsmp5 Well-Known Member

Car:
    85 kubvan
    battery terminal puller works great... penetrating oil... no.. not working... its a taper fit with TEETH

4. luxuryrules

luxuryrules Member

Car:
    2004 Jetta TDI
    Thanks guys. Battery puller it is. Any wisdom on the glow plug relay? Is there an updated one?

5. Tom MacDonald

Tom MacDonald Member

Car:
    2004 Jetta TDI Station Wagon (North American)
    Hey, any update on how this went for you? What were your symptoms and what did you do? Fixed?

I'm having the same issue.

6. dadeamann

dadeamann New Member

Car:
    2004 TDI jetta wagen BEW
    Mods:
    none
    i had a cold start issue, i had the first recall but not the second. i found a dealer that honored the final recall. i thought this would fix it and it did not. anyways after alot of trial and error it ended up being my coolant temp sensor. i pulled the old one out and tested it with a multi meter and found that it was basically telling the ecm that it was at least 50 or so degrees or hotter so my plugs never came on. temp gauge read correctly though. its an easy cheap fix. worth a try

7. luxuryrules

luxuryrules Member

Car:
    2004 Jetta TDI
    I used the brute force method. I got the updated 7V plugs and got my ECU reflashed to account for the voltage change (and it was a good excuse to get a tune). I also have a frostheater on my car too. Between those changes, using the frostheater it'll turn right over, and without the frostheater on a 10 degree day it'll crank for about 2 seconds before turning over. That's after I put the key on engine off for as long as it takes to buckle my seatbelt, to give the glow plugs time to work.

I would like an answer about the glow plug relays, curious to know if there was some revision that I could get further improvement on, but I can get my car started now so I'm less concerned.