02 Jetta TDI, Southern Alberta, Ca

Discussion in 'New TDI forum member introductions' started by muzy, Aug 19, 2012.

1. muzy

muzy New Member

Car:
    2002 Jetta TDI
    Hello all members,
    I just purchased a 2002 Jetta TDI 5 speed with 552000 Km on it.
    Bought it in Hope BC, filled with fule, noted fluid levels (all good) got in and drove.
    As my previous wheels was a 1995 Jimmy (s 10 ) I very quickly learnt that I will need to pay attention to the grades, As I found myself in the slow lane going 40km.
    Once the car let me know what she needed it was smooth sailling all the way home. After 964km I filled up with 50l of deisel.
    WHAT A GREAT CAR!!
    So to day I fixed the trunk latch (which I held closed with a bugge cord) The small spring was not hoked up both ends, and the emerg cable is broken ( the smal plasic tube is broken, may be able the repair) But it works for now.
    Cheak eninge light is on - cause injection start control. code p1248.
    Have noticed air in fule returne line, so new filter and O-rings are in order (may cure prob. I hope)
    And finaly Air bag light is lite always. No clue where to start with this one? :confused:

I have no clue how far these cars can go on org. engine but it looks like I will find out. :confused:
    Have been reading stickys and learnning as I go.
    Seems to be a great site and am happy I found it.
    Happy driving and will be seaking info as I go If not in 1000 FAQ.

Sincerly Glen :D
    login to remove this ad
  2. chittychittybangbang

chittychittybangbang Administrator

Car:
    2006 Jetta TDI
    check out new buying guide for mk4 for common probs, addressed airbag light on other post.

injection pump has a pretty long life if good fuel is used, injectors can get dirty, fuel lines wear out, sometimes the pump does wear out though.

Also, with that many miles, clutch cylinders may be worn out if original or seals are worn. If on original camshaft+lifters I'd replace those. If on original oil pump I'd also replace oil pump + chain tensioner, engines are only "made" to last 150-200k and these items are suggested to be replaced around 300-350k miles which is right around where you are now.

Yes you're looking at some preventative maintenance with such high miles so weigh the cost vs. having the car break down and just buying another.