1. Welcome to myturbodiesel.com, if this is your first visit, please read 1000 answered questions - TDI FAQ, DIY, and Wiki by clicking the link here or in the navigation bar above. Click the "Sign up Now" button to the right to create an account, registration is fast and free.
  2. After you create a free account, every subforum has reply boxes. Here is a thread showing how to create an account or post a new question, shown with pictures

01M Transmission ATF Level/ Temperature Process

Discussion in 'VW Mk4 Jetta, Golf, New Beetle, Passat TDI forum' started by CaliTDI, Mar 12, 2012.

1. CaliTDI

CaliTDI New Member

Car:
    Jetta TDI 2002
    Changed the filter, fluid (febi, G 052 162 A2), gasket in my 2002 Jetta GLS TDI 01M auto transmission this weekend. Prior to draining I used my Ross-Tech VCDS to measure the ATF temperature, and then check fill level as described on this website, and the Bentley repair manual.

The target temperature is 35-45C, before I turned the engine over the reading I got was 11C. Here in Southern California I expected something higher maybe 21C (we are around 70F). I read another post someone also started at 11C, so I figured a non-linear reading to start then you get an accurate reading.

As the engine warmed up it eventually reached 125C, I let it cool back to 35-45 before I checked the ATF level. When I removed the drain plug there was about 1 cup of fluid that drained out - must have been filled to high.

My transmission has been fine, but with 121K miles and recently purchased used I wanted to so a transmission service.

I have since refilled with the same amount that I drained (2 quarts). I did a fluid check, also was too high. I refilled the two quarts ATF, but did not proceed with drain the remaining until I got some feedback here.

Does the 11C sound correct on the starting ATF temperature, do I need to add an offset temperature, or does this sound correct and continue to drain off using the VCDS temperature 35-45C.

I am driving around local close to home today, the shifting is OK but seems a little rough. The fluid I drained was thick and black with sludge all over the magnet. My guess is the computer will adjust to
    the new filter and fluid over time and the shift will smooth out.

I plan to flush that fluid this week by draining and refilling possibly three time to get the ATF flushed.

Any feedback is very appreciated :D
    login to remove this ad
  2. Turbo Lag

Turbo Lag Member

Car:
    05 Passat wagon TDI
    If the car has 122k and the transmission has never been changed before in its life I wouldn't touch it!
    These transmission are sensitive.

VCDS will show true temp of the trans. 11c (51.8f) is about right. Wont read what your outside temp is.

I'm a little lost on what you did. You said you drained 1 cup of fluid. (hope you did this while the engine was running) Then filled the same amount but you said 2qts? 2qts is more then 1 cup.
    I'd recheck that level again before going to far.

My 2 cents
  3. CaliTDI

CaliTDI New Member

Car:
    Jetta TDI 2002
    The 01M

Yah - not sure I described clearly - I think you got it. I agree the transmission is fragile, after reading many posts I decided better to find out now than later the condition of the transmission.

What I did yesterday was refill the same amount I drained (two liters). I drove the car today, all was good - shifted and little rough at times - the new fluid and filter possibly.

Basically the ATF was overfilled by 700mL; this is what I drained off today following the Bentley procedure and using the VCDS. After draining the 700mL (using Bentley & VCDS) I then lost power (pulled out of the garage then no power). I then added a fresh 700mL of ATF and the power came back with good shifting.

Something is not correct - it was overfilled initially from previous owners (yes owners). The tranny definitely needed the service; weather it survives is another thing.

Real curious why the 700mL overfill is needed. I plan to continue to drive this week and monitor. If the shifts continue to be good I plan to drain and fill two liters again to continue the flush.

Now more info, when I purchased the car I was told the transmission was previously rebuilt. From the color of the ATF and sludge I'd guess this some time ago

4. CaliTDI

CaliTDI New Member

Car:
    Jetta TDI 2002
    Operator Error

Pretty sure I did not run the engine while draining the ATF during the level check.

This weekend I plan to do another drain and fill (flush); I'll have a chance to confirm this.

Feel'in a bit stupid, this is the way you learn. :panic:
  5. chittychittybangbang

chittychittybangbang Administrator

Car:
    2006 Jetta TDI
    yes, engine has to be running so that fluid is circulating. ATF is low.