How to post pictures/videos/files and pic/vid rules
Pictures and videos should relate to the post being discussed and should be safe for the workplace. Anything that is borderline is only allowed in the off ramp/off topic forum and you must mark it not safe for work (NSFW language/ NWS language) or it will be deleted. No porn/almost porn.
Resize/crop pictures so they will fit on other people's screens and don't take forever to download. The suggested maximum size is 13"x13" since this is more than enough to see detail. If you do not have picture resizing software, it is available for free at microsoft's power toys image resizer (windows xp). Free photo resizing software is available from many other places like download.com. Excessively large pictures will be deleted. There is no reason to post an original 8 megapixel picture file since those are poster size and are so large they are unviewable.
How to post pictures/video/files
To post a youtube or similar video:
1. Copy and paste the URL (internet address) of the video into your post. It will automatically show up as a clickable video. If the video site is not compatible with the forum software it will show up as a link.
For youtube, you can post it in the format's shown below where (videolocation) is the specific ID of the video. This is the URL in your address bar or youtub'e share link
To post a picture:
1. Host your picture somewhere online. You cannot copy/paste anything in your post that begins with "C:/" like "C:/pictures/picturetitle.jpg" because that is a location on your computer. No one else can see what is on your computer - they can only see what is online so you have to put the picture online somewhere. Free photohosting sites include photobucket.com, flicker.com, photodump.com, myspace, or any other photo hosting site.
2. Know your image's online location. When looking at the image onscreen, right click on it with your mouse. If you are using internet explorer, go to properties at the bottom of the right click menu, and you will see the Address (URL). Copy and paste that into the popup box requesting your image location. If using firefox, use "copy image location" on the right click menu. The menu changes depending on what you're right clicking on so make sure to right click on the image.
3. Copy/paste the online picture location to your message by typing this . I have to make the example a picture itself or it would show up as an error. The location of your picture online must always be http://www."website name andpicture location". When you type it in, make sure there aren't two "http://". Or click this button indicated below and copy/paste the picture location online.
It will open this window. When you cut/paste the address, make sure it doesn't erase the "http://".
Or you could uploaded it from your computer but it will appear as a thumbnail. Scroll down and you will see this. If you don't see these options at the bottom of the screen then you have to click the button that says "go advanced". Attach the picture by clicking "manage attachments" to attach a file off your computer and put it online. When the file is on your computer it's offline and noone else can see them, files have to be online either here or at another host for others to view them online.
Lastly, you can host the picture to your album. Click on your user name to see your profile. From there, you can see albums. Click on add an album and go from there. Since this is not as permanent as your own online photo hosting and is only for posting on myturbodiesel.com, I suggest the method 1 above.
To upload a picture, file, or other approved file type
1. If you wish to upload a .pdf or zip file, from the advanced reply screen, select manage attachments and upload the file from your computer. This can also be used to upload pictures but it will show up as a thumbnail instead of full screen and there are size limits.
You can either upload the file from your computer or if it's already online and publicly accessible, upload the file from the URL (address).
Uploading a profile picture or post avatar
If you want a post "avatar" or profile image, they can be uploaded the same way. There are 2 profile pics, one for your profile page when someone looks at your profile and one that shows up in your posts.
Go to "user control panel" at the upper left hand of the page. Here you can see your profile picture or avatar (message posting icon) picture.